Dear Darling Ones,
There have been unceasing levels of crankiness in the air around me for like a week now. I’m not entirely sure what my problem is. Maybe my uterus is preparing to shed its lining, which will make me super angry. Maybe it’s the cool but humid and cloudy weather. Maybe I’m grouchy for no reason and I’m trying to tie it to various reasons to distract myself from the grouchiness.
My plan was to come here and list all the things I am grouchy about. Actually, my original plan was to growl all things I’m grouchy about at BFK, but she had to cancel CSA this week.
While I was blitzing Disney emojis on my phone and waiting for dinner to roast in the oven, Instagram told me Jason Isbell was live. While I try to avoid Instagram lives like the plague*, the only time I clicked on one it was Jason Isbell and his daughter singing all her favorite songs (mostly Beatles). So I clicked again.
It seems Mr. Isbell is also having a cranky day. He said he was mad about everything and so decided to take a few minutes before his show in Mobile, Alabama to list some things he was grateful for. Since there are worse things a human being can do than copycat Jason Isbell, I thought I’d give it a shot to see if it made me feel any better.
- My family, of course. This week, specifically, my stunning niece, Jaycie, who turned twenty-four on Monday. She has delighted me endlessly for two dozen years, but right now mostly because her favorite author is Joan Didion.
- While I’m much like that very funny tweet that said “I don’t dream of labor” when the tweeter was asked about their dream job, I am grateful I have enough work to keep me out a cubicle and in Supergenius HQ.
- My new pants that are a size smaller than my old pants. This has nothing to do with weight loss and everything to do with acknowledging the actual size of my body (it’s not as big as I think it is).
- The Sadness Garden.
- All the things I have. Someone wrote somewhere recently “Remember when you wanted all the things you have now?” And I kind of took that to heart. I kind of wish it would extinguish some of the want I have in my heart for other things, but at least I’m more appreciative of what I have.
- Rock & Roll.
- Rock & Roll. It’s so important I had to list it twice.
- Wendell, the vengeance demon. I took the picture above today when I was laying on the couch in the hope of taking a nap. Wendell jumped up and tried to help. Darling Ones, I did not nap.
- My friends, of course. They’re only this far down on the list because I didn’t want to be totally fucking obvious. Last night Wolfdogg said, in response to my Jayhawks’ list, “I could live in that moment Gary and Mark harmonize on ‘It’s hard to sing with someone…'” And, same. Really. Also, for the record, it is very easy to sing with Wolfdogg and I have done it about 827,183,184 times during our seventeen-year friendship.
- The Library. I’ve read 135 books so far this year. I’ve purchased, I think, six books so far this year. The library is the greatest place on earth.
- Mobile deposit. I still get paid with paper checks sent through the mail.
- Cheese curds. I spend an embarrassing sum of money on cheese curds every few weeks (Ellsworth Garlic Cheese Curds are my jam). I call it my “nacking cheese,” because when Nolan, an estranged Tibble, was little he called snacks “nacks.”
- I Will Dare dot com. It’s the best thing I’ve done with my life so far.
Are you grateful for anything good?
*I say this as someone who actually, factually has tried to avoid the plague.