pretty little hairdo don’t do what it used to

i’ve had The Jayhawks new cd on for the past three days. mostly i just listen to the song “save it for a rainy day” over and over and over again (are you surprised? i tend to do this a lot).

mostly for lyrics like this:
you never make your mind up/ like driving with your eyes shut/ rough around the edges/ won’t someone come and take you home?/ waiting for a breakthrough/ what will you set your mind to?

and this:
can’t disguise the living/ all the miles you’ve been through/ looking like a train wreck/ wearing too much makeup/ the burden that you carry, more than one soul can ever bear.

but then the chorus is
don’t look so sad marina, there’s another part to play/ don’t look so sad marina, save it for a rainy day

but the thing is, i can’t sing it “don’t look so sad jodina” because that sounds absolutely ridiculous. so instead i sing it, “don’t look so sad jodi-hun.” it kind of works, but not really. even so, i don’t mind. and even though the songs words look pretty sad, it’s so damn fun to sing along to, you wouldn’t believe it. you should probably buy the cd for this song alone, it’s worth it. honest.

1. jodi 13.Apr.03 at 9:31 am

p.s. if you do decide to buy the jayhawks, you might as well get “tomorrow the green grass” and “hollywood town hall” too.

2. Wes 14.Apr.03 at 6:24 am

what about ms jodi instead of jodi-hun?

3. Rick 27.Apr.03 at 3:20 pm

You like Wilco AND The Jayhawks? And you’re a GIRL?! Holy crap.

You into bootlegs?

-R.

4. jodi 27.Apr.03 at 3:39 pm

no, i LOVE wilco and the jayhawks.

yes i’m a girl. if i weren’t i’d he one pissed off guy (you know not having a penis and all).

yes. did you miss the paul westerberg/guthrie concert obessession of last summer?

5. Rick 27.Apr.03 at 10:26 pm

Totally missed it, I found your site last week. For some reason my site was getting a lot of hits from yours so I dropped by and saw Wilco. Dropped by today, saw Jayhawks. I’m not used to seeing people online with good taste in music. 🙂

I’ve actually met Gary Louris a couple times before, I knew his grandmother (“Grandma Kelley” in the liner notes of TTGG). He’s a cool guy, glad to see they did a bit of y’alternative backpedaling with the new album. HTH will always be the best, though.

Cheers,
    -R.

6. Sarah 16.May.03 at 4:21 pm

I thought it was “don’t look so sad marina”

7. Sarah 16.May.03 at 4:24 pm

Jayhawks lyric debate – I thought it was “don’t look so sad, marina” ?

regarding the wilco comments – love love love summer teeth – just found it this past winter.

8. jodi 16.May.03 at 4:46 pm

it is, i just like to sing it differently.

9. Bonny 16.May.03 at 5:33 pm

I should learn this song & sing it to my haircutter. Her name is Marina Toledo.

10. manuel 21.Sep.03 at 12:30 pm

Oh boy I just discovered this album, my bad
    I can’t stop listening to this song.

I wake up in the morning and starting singing it while driving to work.

11. mike G 23.Jan.04 at 7:41 am

I love jayhawks and wilco also.

I reccommend you get “sound of lies” by the jayhawks
    I also recommend “being there” by Wilco

P S As you like these bands you will like;
    “Golden Smog” and “Mark Olson and the Harmony Ridge Creekdippers”
    mark olson was the founding member of the jayhawks, now gone solo

and golden smog contains members of wilco, soul ayslum, jayhawks and a couple more