Things I am irrationally, unflichingly judgmental about

• Apolitical people and those who “get tired” of politics. Are you kidding me? I hate to get all Lorax-y but “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its just not.” I get it. I understand burn out, but you know what, this the future of the next four years of our country. Suck it up and inform yourself. If you aren’t angry, you aren’t paying attention.
  • Everyone on “Meet the Press.” (not all judgements are bad. I kind of love Dee Dee Myers)
  • People who use the word retard and/or tard to describe someone/something that is stupid. I’m reading a book where the main character’s derogatory prefix/suffix of choice is “tard” and it’s making it really hard to continue.
  • Women who don’t identify themselves as feminist.
  • Men who identify themselves as feminists but who cling to their very rigid idea of gender roles.
  • The word slut. This is my newest and most irrational pet peeve. I hate the use of the word slut (and whore to some degree, but slut seems to be more popular) as a way to shame a woman who enjoys sex. FUCK OFF. Sex is natural. Sex is fun. Sex is best when it’s. . . sorry got a little George Michael there. I know we’re in the process of reclaiming the word, turning it into something positive and not so pejorative, but it’s not happening soon enough for me.
  • Also in that category the word “tomboy” and the phrase “boys will be boys.” Also, in case you forgot, people who misuse the phrase “begs the question.” I’m pretty sure that when I die this is the one thing I’ll be remembered for. This and being freakishly tall.
  • People who don’t read books.
  • People who hate The Rolling Stones (my very own beloved Sister #2 is one of these people and I consider it a personal failure that I cannot sway her from this stance).
  • Anyone who wants to Vote Yes on either of Minnesota’s bigoted, intolerant amendments. One to define marriage between a man and a woman and the other claiming we need to ID voters to curtail voter fraud.
  • People who put nuts in brownies or cookies or banana bread. Really, what is wrong with you people?
  • Anyone who wears bedazzled clothes who isn’t in elementary school.
  • Authors with websites that require the Flash player to view. For real. This happened to me yesterday and I thought I was stuck back in 2005. It was weird too because I was reading that author’s book on my iPad which, well, doesn’t have Flash and this is why I know I needed it to view the website. How come people/organizations in the lit-o-sphere are so bad at the web? It drives me bonkers and makes them seem so very out of date and causes me think “of course publishing is dying because you can’t even build a usable website, jackass.”
  • Many other things I can’t think of now because I have to turn a giant butternut squash into a delectable chili. I hope. I’ve never cooked with butternut squash before and I am so stupid I had to take a picture of the thing and ask the interent what it was.

1. Hotrod 22.Oct.12 at 7:35 am

“People who put nuts in brownies or cookies or banana bread. Really, what is wrong with you people?”

Amen, sister!

1. Jodi 22.Oct.12 at 10:17 am

I’m glad that when it comes to the really important issues of the day we can come together in agreement.

1. Hotrod 22.Oct.12 at 11:58 am

I don’t always eat brownies, but when I do I want them without any fucking nuts.

1. Jodi 22.Oct.12 at 12:01 pm

Nuts have no business in brownies. Last night Ericka called my nephew Max, a brownie eater for some act of defiance. He was offended.

2. Brett 22.Oct.12 at 4:42 pm

Could I add “people who still say ‘it is what it is…”?” Holy krep, people…

1. Jodi 22.Oct.12 at 4:45 pm

Oh my god, yes. My niece & nephew like to text me shit like “At the end of the day we’d guesstimate that it is what it is” because they like me to suffer.

3. NBFB 23.Oct.12 at 12:33 pm

Women who don’t identify… confuses me. I don’t think I really understand what “feminism” means. I get confused by folks who claim to be feminists, but seem to have very different ideas about feminism.

1. Jodi 23.Oct.12 at 1:29 pm

I think a lot of people don’t understand what feminism means, even feminists. It’s a loaded term that is consistently being redefined to be more inclusive.

I’m a Rebecca West type, “Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.”

To me feminists are people who realize that we are all better, as a society, when we are equal.

To me feminism is about letting people be who they are and not subscribing to strict gender roles. It’s about letting girls play with trucks and build things and do sports and not be tomboys. It’s about letting boys play with dolls and create things and nurture and not be sissies or “girly.”

It’s about allowing men & women to take care of their families in the way that’s best for their family. Which might mean men staying home and not bringing home a fat paycheck, and not being emasculated for that choice and women bringing home a fat paycheck and not being considered a “bad mom” for working outside the home.

It’s about dismantling rape culture and allowing women to walk freely in this world without worry for how they’re dressed or whether their alone or how much they had to drink.

It’s a lot of things. I could go on and on.

4. NBFB 23.Oct.12 at 1:39 pm

Yep, okay makes sense. In our house, we have the “traditional” roles, by choice. Though I read somewhere (opinion piece) that women in that situation think they are making a conscious choice but they aren’t because they’re pre-programmed by male dominated society to accept that role – in other words any woman who accepts a traditional role, even by perceived choice, can not be a feminist. Or some bullshit like that. It’s stuff like that where I’m all like, “huh?”

1. Jodi 23.Oct.12 at 1:49 pm

Well, that is obvious bullshit. There’s a lot of harm to the feminist movement caused by setting up this competition pitting mothers vs. women without children and stay at home moms vs. moms who work outside the house. We’re all women and we should work so that the choices of all women are held in the same regard. Being a mother or a working mother or a non-mother doesn’t make you a better woman or human. It’s just a ploy by the media to get women to argue about things that don’t matter and cause them to lose focus on things that do (healthcare, birth control, fair pay, etc.).

I do believe a media that is dominated by white men plays a role in that competition. They seek out those opinion pieces and set up this false dichotomy to divide women because they have the most to lose by women gaining true equality.