Answering the Googlers’ Questions XIV: A few about books and only one about sex

Is Jack Kerouac overrated?
Yes. I’ve read On the Road three times and still don’t like it. The Dharma Bums was unreadable.

Tweedy song about quitting job?
Dear Employer

How do I lose my virginity to my sister?
You don’t, unless you’re locked in the attic by your flaky mom and evil grandmother for like five years.

How to make an ugly girl pretty?
Take off her glasses, haven’t you ever seen a movie?

How tall is Jeff Tweedy?
I’m not sure, but I bet Robin knows.

Why does Jodi Picoult hate The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks so much?
I had no idea she hated the book. My guess is that she has taste and Nicolas Sparks writes crappy pap.

Are girls with tattoos easy?
Some of them are. Some of them aren’t.

Am I incapable of fidelity?
Yes, I believe you are.

Should a copywriter know the history and structure of language?

What is the theme of My Happy Life by Lydia Millet?
That even when life sucks your attitude makes all the difference in how bad the suck is.

Why do boys love baseball?
I don’t know, it make them cuter? I’m not sure why boys who love baseball are cuter than boys who love football or hockey, but they are.

In the book The Road by Cormac McCarthy why doesn’t the author use apostrophes in the negatives?
Annoying writerly affectation is my guess.

Why don’t men like tall women?
Because they are insecure about their penises.

1. Holtz 09.Mar.10 at 3:28 pm

Why read On The Road the third time if you didn’t like it the first two times?

2. Jodi 09.Mar.10 at 3:32 pm

Because sometimes I think you have to read a book at the right time, for it to click. I didn’t light Slaughterhouse Five the first time I read it. I think I was too young. I thought maybe the same was true with On the Road (and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for that matter). So I’ve read them a few times.

When something is universally celebrated and I don’t think it’s that great, I trust the celebrants first. But after a few tries, I realized I am right and they are wrong.

For the record I didn’t like To Kill a Mockingbird when I first read it in 10th grade, but loved it when I read it a few years later.

3. sarafenix 09.Mar.10 at 10:07 pm

There are those sacred cows of authors and books that some are “not” allowed to disparage. Allow me state here and now, I hated Catch 22 and Gravity’s Rainbow. There, I’ve said it and now you know that I am truly a literary idiot.

4. Jodi 09.Mar.10 at 11:38 pm

Sara, I haven’t even read those so you’re a step above me on the ladder of idiocy.

5. UH 13.Mar.10 at 6:54 pm

“I didnt light Slaughterhouse Five the first time I read it.”

I did. With a Zippo. Lit that fucker right up, I did. And I liked it. I watched it burn and I danced.

6. Jodi 13.Mar.10 at 8:42 pm

Do you ever feel bad for making me look bad?