happy new year darling ones! if you’re like me you’re kinda glad that 2004 is over. it wasn’t a bad year really, just one of upheaval. i’m thinking that maybe i only dig odd-numbered years. 2005 promises to be the most challenging year of my life that i can remember in quite sometime. with the upcoming changes, things promise to be quite traumatic and, well, different. but as my beloved FFJ says change is rarely bad. i’m sure i’ll learn a lot. taking risks is what 2005 is going to be all about, and i’ll start it out by taking the biggest risk of all. . . working for myself. of course i can’t say much more than that right now, because really, i don’t wanna be dooced at the moment. but soon, soon.
also, let’s all hail the future post feature of Movable Type. It’s like i’m right here live and in person wishing you a happy new year, when really i wrote this at like 5 o’clock this afternoon.
and for those who are so inclined to see what a follower i am:
2004 in review – a few questions
01.what did you do in 2004 that you’d never done before?
saw paul westerberg play live 4 times in a 4 week span.
submitted a short story for publication
joined a book club
that’s all i can remember.
02. did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
no. i resolved to write a short story a month this year. what was i thinking? that’s hard. so yeah, not so good. but i did start three new ones and write two complete rough drafts. that’s not so bad, right?
this year i resolve to go see authors read. i love doing it and i never, ever do. hopefully i can get in one a month.
03. did anyone close to you give birth?
yes! sister #3 gave birth to the beautiful blue-eyed Nolie who stole my heart and hasn’t given it back. next year promises to bring quite the babyboom in my life.
04. did anyone close to you die?
nope, not that i can remember. no funerals for me.
05. what countries did you visit?
i don’t do fives.
06. what would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
more trust in my talents and abilities.
07. what dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 17, i can’t tell you why yet.
January 4, it was the day of Nolie’s birth
October 14, it was the day my world tipped upside down. my company was acquired by another.
October 21, rock for karl. . . bob mould and grant hart on the same stage.
June 5, the day before my birthday, the day after FFJ’s and the night that she, Smel, and I celebrated. it was probably the most fun i’ve had in 100 years.
that’s all i can think of, i’m not too good with dates
08. what was your biggest achievement of the year?
it was all about work, and i don’t wanna write about it. just say that i kicked some ass for the working class.
09. what was your biggest failure?
i didn’t get published. it’s ok.
10. did you suffer illness or injury?
i had the plague in like october or something, but i have recovered nicely.
11. what was the best thing you bought?
probably the fabulous blue couch and/or the sexxy red chair.
12. whose behaviour merited celebration?
my FFJ, she’s the classiest strongest broad that i know.
13. whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
the american voters/Dubya, it’s a tie.
14. where did most of your money go?
Amazon (i can’t talk about the whole republican contributions and all that at the moment)
15. what did you get really, really, really excited about?
er, the paul westerberg shows? did you forget?
16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
As Far As I Know, Paul Westerberg
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? sadder (but only because of the terror that taking risks involved) i guess the real answer would be scareder (is that a word?).
b) thinner or fatter? yeah, i have no idea.
c) richer or poorer? poorer.
18. what do you wish you’d done more of?
sex, rock and roll, getting out of my apartment.
19. what do you wish you’d done less of?
20. how did you spend christmas?
with the sister club and mi familia.
21. did you fall in love in 2004?
about 293 times. . . most noted is probably with diet coke with lime
22. how many one-night stands?
none. i don’t think. if i did it must have been forgettable.
23. what was your favourite tv program?
Dawson’s Creek on DVD from Netflix
24. do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
i have an entirely new disdain for corporate america.
26. what was your greatest musical discovery?
Tegan and Sara. I am so in love.
27. what did you want and get?
28. what did you want and not get?
29. what was your favourite film of this year?
Garden State and Mean Girls.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
i had a three-day birthday extravaganza with all my favorite people, i turned 32
31. what one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
not losing touch with the TTHM
32. how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
the same as last year, except a bit more faded. i don’t buy clothes.
33. what kept you sane?
FFJ, Smel, darlingjason, and iwilldare.com
34. which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. what political issue stirred you the most?
36. who did you miss?
37. who was the best new person you met?
the minion, she rocks the casbah.
38. tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
you can go it alone and it doesn’t even hurt
39. quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I’m in love with someone that doesn’t exist
Keep looking for them everywhere I go
I’m in love with something that doesn’t get kissed
It doesn’t exist
As far as I know
I’m in love with a face that I’ve never seen
Once upon a place long time ago
I’m in love with a time that never took place
That’s easy to trace
As far as I know
And I know everything that I need to sing
As Far as I Know, Paul Westerberg