Every year round near the Ides of March, I go into iTunes, select all, and then choose reset playlist, but not before I make a playlist of the year’s Top 25 Most Played songs. I like to keep the playlist as a sort of musical yearbook of that year and when I’m feeling all nostalgic for, say, 2006, I can pull up the list and listen to The Kooks and Ray LaMontagne and The Postal Service.
This year though, thanks to the Tibbles, I had to create two Top 25 2010 lists. One with all their junk on it and one that was just mine. Yesterday if you were to take a look at my most played songs you would think that I was a huge Michael Jackson-loving Vikings fan. Michael Jackson had two spots on the list, and the Skol Vikings song was on there too. The #1 most-played? Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. #2 was, wait for it. . . You Spin Me Round [Like a Record] by The Chipmunks.
What can I say? They outnumber me three to one? Plus, all the various iDevices here at Supergenius HQ sync to one iTunes account. I didn’t really have a chance to get all my songs on the list.
So I present to you, without further ado, the Top 25 Most Played songs from March 2010 – March 2011 (I got Roland, my first iPod in March which is why the year runs goofy):
- These Roads Don’t Move, Jay Farrar and Benjamin Gibbard. It surprised me that this one was the top listened-to song of the year. I know there was a week (or two) not so long ago where I listened to it first thing every morning, but I didn’t realize I repeated it so often throughout the day
- King of Spain, The Tallest Man On Earth. While raving endlessly about my TMOE thing, my friend Wolfdogg helpfully pointed out that I have a thing for that whole Scandinavian guy with a guitar. See also Jens Lekman and Sondre Lerche.
- Graceland, Paul Simon. I was working on a story about Memphis.
- The Wild Hunt, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Love Is All, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Time’s A Wastin’, June Carter & Carl Smith. I’m going through a serious ‘I’m a little bit country’ phase
- Spanish Pipedream, The Avett Brothers
- Burden of Tomorrow, The Tallest Man On Earth
- When We Swam, Thao with The Get Down Stay Down. I heard this song on The Current and fell in love. It contains the lyric “oh bring your hips to me.” And you know I have a fetish for songs with hips in them, right?
- You’re Going Back, The Tallest Man On Earth
- The Drying of the Lawns, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Thousand Ways, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Kids on the Run, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Kick Drum Heart, The Avett Brothers
- Heard It On The Radio, The Bird And The Bee
- O Valencia!, The Decemberists. I listened to this about 66 times a day when I was reading Swamplandia!
- Into the Stream, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Troubles Will Be Gone, The Tallest Man On Earth
- A Lion’s Heart, The Tallest Man On Earth
- January Wedding, The Avett Brothers
- I Won’t Be Found, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Pistol Dreams, The Tallest Man On Earth
- Shallow Grave, The Tallest Man On Earth
- The Gardener, The Tallest Man On Earth
- The Blizzard’s Never Seen the Desert Sands, The Tallest Man On Earth