Last night I made everyone play the ‘favorite’ game. This is a game whereby you have to choose a favorite song by some venerable artist whose every music note you love. It’s a lot of fun. I like to see the horror that overcomes people when I point at them and say “All time favorite Beatles song.” It’s like I’m asking them to choose a favorite parent or child or testicle.
So maybe the game’s only fun for me.
Last night I made people pick their all-time favorite Beatles Song, Rolling Stones song, Elvis Costello song, Bob Dylan song, and then I made them choose Elvis Costello or Elvis Presley. The Beatles or the Stones (and when The Hottie picked the Stones, I professed my love for him), Paul or John, and I tried to get them to do Paul McCartnet vs. Paul Westerberg, but nobody would have any of that nonsense.
- “I’ll Follow the Sun,” (Barbie picked “Blackbird” and The Grad picked some song I’d never even heard before. At one point The Grad and The Hottie started talking actual Beatles albums and I had to restrain the urge to lick them both because of their utter cuteness)
- “Dead Flowers” (The Hottie picked “Tumbling Dice” and The Grad picked “Get off my Cloud”)
- “Veronica” (Writing Max [not to be confused with my nephew Max] chose “Alison” and Jags [who hates her nickname] chose the entire My Aim Is True album)
- For purely sentimental reasons “To Make You Feel My Love” (Love Shack chose “All Along the Watchtower,” Barbie picked “Tambourine Man” and the The Grad professed his love for “Visions of Johanna” and the whole “Blonde on Blonde” album which made me immediately fall into my Barry from “High Fidelity” routine. Don’t tell anyone you don’t own “Blonde on Blonde”. It’s gonna be okay.)
- Stones, Costello, John, Westerberg