Craig Finn on St. Paul Westerberg

From Tito, comes this awesome tidbit from a Pitchfork Interview with Craig Finn of the Hold Steady.

Pitchfork: Have you had any contact with Paul Westerberg since being on Vagrant?
Craig Finn: Never.

I’ve seen him once. I used to see him on the streets around, and I saw him once since then in a Barnes & Noble, and that was it. With Paul, I get the feeling he’s a little reclusive. He’s the singer of my favorite band of all time, so I’d love to meet him but I get the feeling that he might be more of a difficult person.

I think if I ran into Paul Westerberg at a Barnes & Noble, I’d immediately pee my pants and run screaming from the building. That’s of course, if I recognized him. Odds are I’d probably not notice him if he walked by on the street.

1. Lerren 04.Dec.06 at 7:37 pm

of course, that begs the question – would you notice if *he* were stalking *you*?

2. Jodi 04.Dec.06 at 7:41 pm

Oh, probably not. I don’t think I’d notice if anyone were stalking me.

3. UH 04.Dec.06 at 8:27 pm

No kidding. I’ve been stalking you for years, and I’ve never even gotten the time of day.

4. Jodi 04.Dec.06 at 8:42 pm

Sheyah, I wish.

5. Charles 05.Dec.06 at 8:01 am

I am pretty sure you would recognize him, and pee your pants, and run from the building.

6. Placemat 05.Dec.06 at 2:03 pm

I’ve wondered the same…

Recognizing the guy’s mug on a CD is one thing, but recognizing him on the street is another story.

IF I even noticed, I’d probably say, “Look at that sap trying to look like PW.”

Which would cause those in earshot to respond with, “Paul who?”

7. Jodi 05.Dec.06 at 2:06 pm

And then you say, “you know the guy from the Replacements”

and then you get the look. . . and then you get the bad look and then you get the “Oh yeah they sang that Friends song.”

Then you have to kill them.

8. david 07.Dec.06 at 5:47 pm

When I lived in Minneapolis, my friends and I would frequent the bars where PW allegedly hung out, but I never ran into him.

Winona Ryder did once sit next to me at the 400 Bar, though, and had Dave Pirner with her.