earlier this week, kottke linked to the 50 best book to film adaptations, then today i noticed he marked which ones he’d seen and/or watched.
so i did it too.
incidentally, i must note that the list doesn’t include “The World According to Garp,” “Secretary,” “High Fidelity” or “In the Bedroom.” which i would say are some pretty amazing adaptations.
1. 1984 [read]
2. Alice in Wonderland [watched]
3. American Psycho [read & watched – they both suck]
4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s [read & watched]
. Brighton Rock
6. Catch 22 [watched]
7. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory [watched]
8. A Clockwork Orange [watched]
9. Close Range (inc Brokeback Mountain) [i haven’t read the whole collection, but i have watched & read the story Brokeback Mountain]
10. The Day of the Triffids
11. Devil in a Blue Dress
12. Different Seasons (inc The Shawshank Redemption)
13. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka Bladerunner)
14. Doctor Zhivago [read & watched, thank you Mr. Dahl]
15. Empire of the Sun
16. The English Patient
17. Fight Club [watched]
18. The French Lieutenant’s Woman
19. Get Shorty
20. The Godfather [read half the book when i was in high school and never finished]
22. Goodfellas [watched]
23. Heart of Darkness (aka Apocalypse Now)
24. The Hound of the Baskervilles
26. The Jungle Book [watched]
27. A Kestrel for a Knave (aka Kes)
28. LA Confidential
29. Les Liaisons Dangereuses [watched]
30. Lolita [read & watched]
31. Lord of the Flies [read & watched]
32. The Maltese Falcon
33. Oliver Twist
34. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest [read & watched]
36. The Outsiders [read & watched]
37. Pride and Prejudice
38. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
39. The Railway Children
41. The Remains of the Day
42. Schindler’s Ark (aka Schindler’s List) [watched]
43. Sin City [watched]
44. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
45. The Talented Mr Ripley
46. Tess of the D’Urbervilles
47. Through a Glass Darkly
48. To Kill a Mockingbird [read & watched]
49. Trainspotting [watched]
50. The Vanishing [watched]
51. Watership Down
Watched 34, only read 8.
Seen 7, read four.
You never saw “The Talented Mr. Ripley”? That is one of my FAVORITE movies.
Which version of the Vanishing did you see? The French version is so much better than the Hollywood version. Plus how can you not have seen Jaws, Apocalypse Now or Trainspotting? All great movies.
oh, i lied. i have seen trainspotting, i haven’t read that. i am gonna fix that.