drunk on the train to chicago and i feel alright

dear chicago,

you’ll never guess. you know the girl you said i’d meet someday, well i got something to confess. she picked me up on fri–

oh wait. that’s a different letter. my letter wants to not only warn chicago that i’m coming. i’m coming chicago. but mostly i want to thank you for the weather being 65 and party sunny. please chicago, please let weather.com be right, because i really don’t want to bring a big heavy jacket.

also chicago, just so you know, i did a search for chicago in my iTunes and came up with five different songs featuring your name. The obvious, Chicago by Frank Sinatra, and Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago by Soul Coughing. But there’s also the aforequote Ryan Adams’ song Dear chicago, Doughty’s Train to Chicago and of course Wilco’s Via Chicago

see you in a bit,
jodichromeysupergenius

1. UH 12.Apr.05 at 11:19 pm

What, no 25 or 6 to 4?

Are you some kind of music snob?

2. jodi 12.Apr.05 at 11:22 pm

yes, as a matter of fact i am. though chicago’s “Stay the Night” was my favorite song the summer i was 13.

3. Lori 12.Apr.05 at 11:45 pm

Oooh … I’m so jealous. You’re going to have a great time, although we’re having thunderstorms in IL at press time. I like to say the sun always shines on Springfield, but I can’t vouch for Chicago. Actually, I’ll be in Rockford on Wed. & Thurs. Rockford. The armpit of IL. Boohoo.

4. Zook 13.Apr.05 at 9:15 am

Look for Lake Shore Drive by Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah. It’s a song from the 70s written about the road that lines the shore. Not a bad tune either. You’re welcome about the weather – I put in an extra word with Mama N for you.

5. elizabeth 13.Apr.05 at 9:22 am

have an awesome trip, jodi. 🙂

ps the ryan adams song is awesome.. but not as awesome as the real chicago (transit authority). my parents made me listen to chicago throughout my childhood, which was terrible but at this point it’s all relative. i personally prefer “does anybody really know what time it is?” hehe

6. dietcokegurl 13.Apr.05 at 1:47 pm

I thought Peoria was the armpit of IL…?

7. Lyndale 13.Apr.05 at 3:52 pm

What about the Bash and Pop song First Steps? I know its not called Chicago but it mentions it. Or the Wire song, I think its called Chicago Drill.