this just in: the track listing for besterberg: the best of paul westerberg

as you might well imagine, the upcoming release of Besterberg has the locals here at supergenius headquarters all atwitter. and you ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen a 6’5″ supergenius atwitter. from the lovely Kathy of Paul’s Page fame comes:

Besterberg: The Best of Paul Westerberg

1. Dyslexic heart
2. Knockin’ On Mine
3. World Class Fad
4. Runaway Wind
5. Things
6. Seein’ her
7. Man Without Ties
8. A Star is Bored
9. Stain Yer Blood
10. Love Untold
11. Once Around the Weekend (Alternate Mix)
12. Angels Walk
13. It’s a Wonderful Lie
14. Lookin’ Out Forever
15. Nowhere Man
16. High Time
17. Let the Bad Times Roll
18. What a Day (For a Night)
19. All That I Had
20. C’mon, C’mon, C’mon

I’m really surprised by how “Eventually” heavy the track list is. Eventually is my least favorite of all the releases. I’m also disappointed not to see “Kickin’ The Stalls,” “Wild and Lethal,” and “Born for Me.” But i’m totally, totally excited to see “Stain Yer Blood” and “A Star is Bored,” which are from either the Friends or Melrose Place soundtrack (and yes, i am not ashamed to admit, i own them both).

“Man Without Ties” is a good one to see, because that song is just so damn fun.

and of course i’m most excited to hear the ones that i’ve never heard before (c’mon, c’mon, c’mon and all that i had).

1. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 3:29 pm

eh, i’m not too thrilled with angels walk and once around the weekend is OK at best.

2. Jeff Left - Cottonwood 24.Mar.05 at 9:37 pm

These Are the Days-
    Century-
    Love Untold-
    Ain’t got Me-
    Mamadaddydid-
    Once Around the Weekend-
    Angels Walk-
    Good Day-
    Time Flies Tomorrow-
    & pick me up – Trumpet Clip

all this dissin’ from the word-slinger, author of Bittersweetheart.com.
    I just don’t get it. Were you someone else circa 96-7?
    “Eventually” could have been the sound-track for “Garden State”.
    Fondly,

3. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 9:40 pm

in 1996-97, i thought Evenutally was the best thing since diet coke. i can’t deny it. but compared to the rest of his catalog, i think it’s the weakest of the bunch.

i’d much rather see Waiting for Somebody, Kickin the Stalls, and Wild and Lethal on Besterberg.

and what about grandpaboy? Eyes Like Sparks. . . Lush and Green, i’m sorry, but Eventually can’t hold up to a lot of the post-eventually stuff. and really, Suicaine Gratifaction is my favorite of all his CDs thus far.

4. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 10:15 pm

^ Love ’em all ^ … I’m really not sure who Besterberg is marketed to. Of course I’ll buy it, to keep collection complete & send some change to st. paul. I too, could swap 10 of the list for ten of my own. A Super-Box of 140 Songs is needed. As long as it includes the previously unreleased track “Steeped in Melancholy”.

“i think it’s the weakest of the bunch.”

P.S. sub-catagory for 3/22 & 3/23 type posts: These Are the Days

5. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:17 pm

what pray tell is this “Steeped in Melancholy” you speak of, i’ve never heard of it.

6. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 10:20 pm

hey!? didn’t post my diet coke sipping, once around the weekend listening, cringing at the weakest quote , part of my post.

7. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:23 pm

well, try again, and then tell me about this steeped in melancholy!

8. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 10:24 pm

Steeped in Melancholy
    i just love it… gonna keep it.

9. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:27 pm

you simply have to spill the beans. you have to! i just googled “steeped in melancholy” you can imagine what came up. . . nothing but me! so do tell what this is you speak of.

10. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:31 pm

mr. left you have thoroughly confounded.

11. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 10:35 pm

it was just a homage to you. it would be a great title to a pw song. that’s all.

12. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:36 pm

i suppose it would only be fair if he stole a title from me. i think i owe him one, don’t you think? maybe i’ll give it to him in milwaukee.

13. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 10:40 pm

that’s exactly what i was thinking. (again!)
    (which bring us back to Eventually)

14. jodi 24.Mar.05 at 10:42 pm

so out with it 20 besterberg tracks. go!

15. Jeff Left 24.Mar.05 at 11:02 pm

can’t just now… kids bed, rocker-weeny Constantine on AI (PST) vote off, i pray etc. … to be continued.