you’re not going down with me

i had this brilliant idea about how sister club and i could spend sister #4’s and my birthday this year. we’d all go see the dixie chicks. you know, since they all love the chicks with a passion. and they just happen to be playing in st. paul on June 6th. i thought’d be great gobs of fun to go with my sisters and jaycie. you know something memorable. jaycie’s still talking about the first time she saw the dixie chicks, two years ago. i really wanted to be apart of something like that.

i made the suggestion to the sister club and they ate it up. they thought it was a great idea. i thought everything was a go. we’d order tickets today when they went on sale.

but, again, i was wrong. it seems sister #2 and #4 cooked up a brilliant idea to get pre-sale tickets. but the only thing is, you can only buy FOUR pre-sale tickets. yeah. 4 sisters + 1 niece= FIVE. clearly, they didn’t see this as a problem.

and now guess who gets to sit out?

there was some talk of getting another ticket and someone would just have to sit by themselves (me). but really? what the fuck is the point? i’m not paying $60 to see a band i mildly enjoy, mostly because they remind me of my niece, only to sit by myself. and the whole point was to do this thing together. to celebrate and see the dixie chicks and what not.

and i don’t know what upsets me more, that i can’t go or that i’ll end up spending my birthday alone.

i suppose eventually my feelings will stop hurting. but right now it doesn’t feel like it.

1. Miz 01.Mar.03 at 11:25 pm

Hugs (((Jodi))) I know how it feels, I have 4 sisters, Im the youngest and sometimes there are things that they do that make me feel left out too. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe something else will come up so that all of you can enjoy you and your sisters special day together or just explore other options, after all you had the brains to come up with this one idea, Im sure you could come up with another! 🙂

2. alie 01.Mar.03 at 11:47 pm

that’s really not cool at all, Jodi. I’m sorry. 🙁 I spent my birthday alone last year too. I got ditched by all of my friends the day of b/c they had other more important things to do. I could really feel the love.

3. tom 02.Mar.03 at 2:18 am

blech, THAT’S POO!

4. Kevin 02.Mar.03 at 10:32 am

Poo is right. It’s your idea; you get to sit out and it’s your birthday? Laaa-aaaaa-aaaame. Why couldn’t one of the other sisters (ie, the one who won’t be celebrating a birthday) sit by themselves. OR, better yet, why can’t two people call to get pre-sale tickets? Sorry, Jodi.

5. Snarky 03.Mar.03 at 10:39 am

That really sucks. I’m an oldest daughter, and I ALWAYS get ditched by my four younger sisters at family get-togethers. First their excuse was was “oh, you’re married”, then it was “oh you don’t have any kids”. They see me as a kind of third parent and after years of this crap, I really haven’t come up a viable solution beyond fending for myself. When I tell my sisters or parents how upset I am, they always say I’m overreacting. Yet, when I schedule outings with one or two other sisters, they not only have lots of fun but are really surprised that they do. I dunno, maybe somehow the old family dynamics wipe their minds of coherent thoughts. The only thing that works is having terrific ideas for plans B through D worked out for when I get blown off. It still sucks, though. I hope you plan a superduper fun “Plan B” for your birthday that’s a thousand times better than anything the Dixie Chicks have to offer! We Geminoids need to stick together…

6. Natalie 03.Mar.03 at 11:45 am

Ugh, that really sucks. My birthday last year was ruined, so I know exactly how it feels.

7. jodi 03.Mar.03 at 11:48 am

yeah, it sucks. but it’s done and overwith. i’ve made them all feel sufficiently bad. now i’m brewing up some other birthday trouble.

8. dweebie 03.Mar.03 at 3:41 pm

throw yourself a party and invite your favorite friends and have your favorite foods and drink and play your favorite songs. have so much fun, that the sister club will be jealous, wishing they could be there, family dynamics suck, so ignore them and find friends who don’t (unless you want them to suck in the right places), plus you’ll get more presents that way.

9. Anonymous 03.Mar.03 at 4:08 pm

I know how you feel, This year I wanted to spend my birthday with my sisters and their kids so that they could meet and get to know my new boyfriend, but they could only spare a half hour because they had to go to the surprise engagement party of a friend of theirs that hurt ME. They put their loyalty to the lying back stabbing bitch – not their sister.

10. Anonymous 03.Mar.03 at 4:08 pm

11. dweebie 04.Mar.03 at 9:54 am

Maybe they already bought your ticket and don’t want you to know so it will be a surprise for your birthday.

12. Anonymous 06.Mar.03 at 2:03 pm

Umm, couldn’t you just buy the extra ticket to get the five of you in the door? Then have Jaycie sit on someone’s lap (or on someone’s shoulders once everyone stands up). I would think that the width of four seats could easily accomodate the five of you standing up, especially if they are on an aisle at all….