So, two weeks from today I will be FORTY! I’ve reached the point in my self-obsessed birthdayness where I am telling people who don’t really care that my birthday is coming up. I like to think I’m mentioning it and the attendant celebrations as a way to explain why I won’t be working as much in the next two weeks as I usually do. But really, I’m not kidding anyone. I love my birthday.
Aside from my birthday, here are a few other things I love as I approach the beginning of my fifth decade on this planet.
- The name ‘Ormus Cama.” It’s the name of a character in Salman Rushdie’s The Ground Beneath Her Feet.
- The Herblings, obviously.
- Greek Meatball Salad.
- Arguing with smart people on the Internet (occasionally dumb ones slip in, but I ignore them). For real I’ve been very Barry from “High Fidelity” lately. And, as my friend Marc pointed out, not “Walking on Sunshine” Barry but “How can your daughter like that song?” Barry.
- Ellen Willis (Still).
- Mad Men. For real. This season of Mad Men is giving Dawson’s Creek a run for its money as far as all time favorite show goes.
- Peanut Butter Cheerios. These might replace Nutter Butters as my favorite peanut-butter flavored foodthing.
- Spending a portion of each Sunday Family Dinner going over the heinous acts of Gayle King on the week’s CBS This Morning show (I might be a little obsessed).
- Also, Sunday Family Dinner.
- That next week I have a meeting with a potential client, someone who found me through my portfolio (and not, as far as I know, through someone I know).
- Also, I landed another new client today without ever putting on real clothes.
- Recently, I stumbled upon an exBF’s wedding pictures on Facebook and the only thing I could think as I clicked through the album was “wow, I totally dodged that bullet.”
- Turquoise fingernail polish.