14 x 40

So, two weeks from today I will be FORTY! I’ve reached the point in my self-obsessed birthdayness where I am telling people who don’t really care that my birthday is coming up. I like to think I’m mentioning it and the attendant celebrations as a way to explain why I won’t be working as much in the next two weeks as I usually do. But really, I’m not kidding anyone. I love my birthday.

Aside from my birthday, here are a few other things I love as I approach the beginning of my fifth decade on this planet.
[arrow2_list]

• The name ‘Ormus Cama.” It’s the name of a character in Salman Rushdie’s The Ground Beneath Her Feet.
  • The Herblings, obviously.
  • Greek Meatball Salad.
  • Arguing with smart people on the Internet (occasionally dumb ones slip in, but I ignore them). For real I’ve been very Barry from “High Fidelity” lately. And, as my friend Marc pointed out, not “Walking on Sunshine” Barry but “How can your daughter like that song?” Barry.
  • Ellen Willis (Still).
  • Mad Men. For real. This season of Mad Men is giving Dawson’s Creek a run for its money as far as all time favorite show goes.
  • Peanut Butter Cheerios. These might replace Nutter Butters as my favorite peanut-butter flavored foodthing.
  • Spending a portion of each Sunday Family Dinner going over the heinous acts of Gayle King on the week’s CBS This Morning show (I might be a little obsessed).
  • Also, Sunday Family Dinner.
  • That next week I have a meeting with a potential client, someone who found me through my portfolio (and not, as far as I know, through someone I know).
  • Also, I landed another new client today without ever putting on real clothes.
  • Recently, I stumbled upon an exBF’s wedding pictures on Facebook and the only thing I could think as I clicked through the album was “wow, I totally dodged that bullet.”
  • Almonds.
  • Turquoise fingernail polish.

[/arrow2_list]

1. todd 24.May.12 at 4:49 am

Maybe it’s just me, but taken out of context, one could easily misconstrue: “Also, I landed another new client today without ever putting on real clothes.”

1. Jodi 24.May.12 at 6:56 am

Ha! That makes me laugh. Let ’em misconstrue.

2. hotrod 24.May.12 at 6:17 am

Birthdays suck. All of them.

Who do you have your money on as being on the receiving end of the rifle that’s still in Pete Campbell’s office? Besides Pete, I mean.

1. Jodi 24.May.12 at 6:58 am

Like everything, you are wrong about birthdays.

I’m really worried about Roger Sterling. I’m afraid he’s in some sort of weird manic phase. Also, maybe Ginsberg, the new guy?

How awesome was it to see Paul Kinsey this week? I always liked Pretentious Paul.

3. hotrod 24.May.12 at 7:52 am

Roger was my first thought, but after this week I am more worried for Lane. Ginsberg has definitely crossed my mind too. I like seeing Kinsey because I like that he failed. What a d-bag.

Also, I read somewhere that the actor who plays Harry Crane used to have a blog on Vox.

Oh, and Don Draper shares my opinion on birthdays. It’s one of the many things we have in common. And about which we are right.

1. Jodi 24.May.12 at 8:00 am

I hadn’t thought of Lane, but that would make a lot of sense. Callous as this is, I’d rather see him go than anyone else. Even the relatively new Ginsberg. Lane kind of heebs me out.

I love Harry. I wish they’d give him more story and also Peggy. . . she’s fading to the background and that sucks. She needs some more stage time.

How do you feel about Megan? I kind of love her so far.

4. hotrod 24.May.12 at 8:44 am

I think Lane is awesome, and he doesn’t get enough screen time. I’m kind of tired of Peggy, though I will admit there was a time that I could have made a convincing argument that the show was her story. That’s not the case any more. My major disappointment with this season is I think the show used to be better at balancing all the characters on a weekly basis. Now they focus on a few at a time. I never thought I’d suggest that the show needs more Betty, but here we are. Needs more Harry, too. We agree about that. We agree about Megan too. She’s awesome.

1. Jodi 24.May.12 at 9:11 am

I will never tire of Peggy. She is my favorite character. I do agree with you about the balance, but not about Betty. I’ve never been a Betty fan and now they’re just making her a sort of whipping-post for everything. It’s like. . . what more could go wrong for Betty. It’s like the writers have the same disdain for her that I do and that just feels weird.

At this point though, I am forgiving Mad Men for a lot of sins simply because of that Joan and Don scene from this week. Damn that was awesome. Almost as awesome as Megan.

5. hotrod 25.May.12 at 6:04 am

I must be the only person who watches the show who wasn’t jazzed about the Don & Joan scene. It felt very old to me, like a last hurrah.

6. NBFB 25.May.12 at 10:48 am

For my birthday (which is Monday), I told Mrs. NBFB that I wanted a quiet, alone day. She’s taking the kids to her folks place for the day Sunday. SCORE!