The autumn of our Jackson Browneyness

Here’s the thing. I love The Current, that’s no secret. Jill & Steve in the morning, Barb Abney, St. Mary Lucia of Airwaves. I love it all. So I’m not blaming the radio station for this current situation that seems to be developing in Rock & Roll. It’s merely that they are the vessel which brings the situation to my ears. I don’t listen to any other radio station because commercial radio makes my ears bleed.

And what is the situation? Every damn thing lately sounds like Jackson Browne. This is the biggest perpetrator. I did some hardcore Googling because I was convinced this Dawes song was a Jackson Browne cover. It’s not, it just sounds like it should be.

Sometimes a band will throw in a falsetto to get that Neil Young vibe for a little variety. Kinda like how some people will eat at Applebees instead of Chilis. You know, because they like variety.

We’re experiencing a mid-70s renaissance, which is weird because I thought the 90s were back.

It feels a little weird to complain about this, because I love Jackson Browne, and that kinda singer-songwritery with a splash of country thing is so far up my alley that I let it park in the garage right next to Sister #4’s shitty waterbed furniture that I’m convinced she’ll never get rid of because she hasn’t lived here in six years and it’s still sitting in there.

And despite my love of the genre, I still find myself chafing a bit at all the Jackson Browneyness going around. It feels tired and kind of boring. For a long time now I’ve thought it was me who was boring and getting stuck in my aural ways. But I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not me, it’s them. Rock & Roll is officially boring.

1. M-----l 26.Sep.11 at 11:26 am

Jackson Browne is one of my top 2 or 3 musical heroes, so I was hoping I’d like this Dawes outfit. I didn’t really hear much similarity between the two expect for the Late For the Sky piano. I think Jackson Browne has a much better voice and I hope he’d know better than to write a song that included lyrics about mashed potatoes and a chicken wing.

Did the curly-haired guy ever do anything?

1. Jodi 26.Sep.11 at 11:29 am

@M—–l, You really don’t hear Jackson Browne knockoff when you listen to that song? Maybe something’s wrong with me.

No, he doesn’t do anything.

Also, I forgot about the awful chicken wing lyric.

1. M-----l 26.Sep.11 at 11:53 am

@Jodi, If I’d heard this song without your accompanying post, I still would’ve thought of Jackson Browne. Maybe we’re just seeing or hearing different things in Dawes that remind us of him. It’s all about the piano for me.

2. Steve 26.Sep.11 at 2:41 pm

Totally totally. Also we just heard some joker that sounded like he was trying to do a Simon & Garfunkel tribute. Like, it was that similar. Like, wow. I cannot recall the name of the act, however. The Current will probably know. You can ask them.

1. Jodi 26.Sep.11 at 2:47 pm

@Steve, They are right this second, playing the Dawes song I mentioned here.

3. Lori 26.Sep.11 at 6:07 pm

Best phrase ever? So far up my alley that I let it park in the garage.

4. Wolfdogg 26.Sep.11 at 6:50 pm

It’s the phrasing and melody that sounds Browne-like to me.

The Current… too much alt, not enough rock. People have to be making original rock and roll out there still, but I guess we don’t hear it unless it’s overly cute, clever, smart, and full of itself.

5. M-----l 21.Oct.11 at 7:17 pm

I just wanted to stop back and let you know that I recently downloaded the three Daytrotter Sessions by Dawes and I’ve been listening to them throughout the day. I still don’t hear much Jackson Browne in there, but I’ve been enjoying the songs anyway. It’s easier to like them when that useless guy isn’t sitting around and when they’re playing songs that have better lyrics (which most of the other songs do).

One other thing: my recent Wild Flag comment was supposed to be more than what showed up. I’m not sure what happened to the rest of it.