Unpopular opinions

Yesterday on twitter, Steve announced that Bon Iver was boring and Kurtis agreed with him. I was so happy to see them proclaiming such blasphemy out in the public sphere that I quickly jumped on the ZZZZzzzz bandwagon. I realized that sometimes, it’s a relief to admit that something insanely popular is just not for you. In an attempt at recapturing that fleeting euphoria, I present to you, other things I do not like or have no interest in that everyone else seems to enjoy quite a great deal.

• Pie and anything else containing baked fruits or fruit spooj of any kind.
  • Winnie the Pooh (that commercial for the movie makes me want to claw my eyes out).
  • Radiohead and TV on the Radio.
  • Root Beer.
  • Black Pens.
  • Tomatoes, White Chocolate, and Mushrooms.
  • Guestimate.
  • Reeses’ Pieces and Peanut Butter M&Ms.
  • Pitchfork.
  • Harry Potter.
  • Capitalism.

Feel free to add your own unpopular opinions.

1. heather 20.Jul.11 at 9:22 pm

i do not like/have no interest in:

– mayonnaise (or any savoury cream-based foodstuff)
    – SYTYCD/DWTS/AGT
    – transformers. oh wait, i really mean:
    – shia la beouf
    – brand names
    – “celebrity” reality tv
    – arcade fire

this is not a comprehensive list.

1. Jodi 20.Jul.11 at 9:24 pm

@heather, Confession: I am in love with Roseanne Barr’s new celebrity reality tv show.

And I second Arcade Fire, I can’t (well, I can) believe I forgot to include them on the list.

2. Barrett Chase 21.Jul.11 at 1:47 am

– Reggae
    – Monty Python
    – Brown sugar, marshmallows, or any other profane sweetener when added to sweet potatoes
    – Lobster
    – Hot tubs
    – Sunlight

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 9:22 am

@Barrett Chase, I would add corn on the cob and marshmallows (in any form) to my list too.

3. Barrett Chase 21.Jul.11 at 1:52 am

Oh, and corn on the cob.

4. hotrod 21.Jul.11 at 6:09 am

Oh come on, you’re wrong about WAY more than just these few things…

5. LeAnn 21.Jul.11 at 12:47 pm

Harry Potter?! *sniffle*

I suppose I can live with the fact that you don’t like Harry, but if you tell me when you finally read The Hunger Games series that you don’t like it, then I don’t know what to think about you.

Some that would make my list:
    – Florence and the Machine
    – Coffee
    – Wall-E
    – Sudoku
    – Eating outdoors
    – Star Wars (Luke Skywalker is the whiniest pussy I’ve ever seen and I hate him. Why people want to dress up like him is beyond me.)

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 1:13 pm

@LeAnn, It’s not that I dislike Harry, I’m just apathetic. I’ve never read it and have no desire to. Also, I’ve never seen a StarWar movie. None of them.

1. LeAnn 25.Jul.11 at 10:02 am

@Jodi, Don’t bother. Star Wars sucks because of Luke Skywalker.

6. Christa 21.Jul.11 at 10:29 pm

I’m apathetic about Harry Potter, too. I don’t like:

Golden Girls
    Angry Birds
    Vodka
    Saturdays

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 11:31 pm

@Christa, The enduring popularity of the Golden Girls befuddles me. I think that might fall in the camp of things I’m apathetic about.

1. LeAnn 25.Jul.11 at 10:04 am

@Jodi, OMG, I fricken love Golden Girls. It’s like Sex and the City for old people. I think I like it because I’d like to think I’d still be doing a lot of fun things at that age, too.

7. M-----l 22.Jul.11 at 10:04 am

I could go see TV on the Radio for free tomorrow, but I’m going to skip them because they are a bunch of boring hipsters who only have two listenable songs.

I disagree on Radiohead, though. There are some situations when they sound perfect to me (driving to the airport, looking at tall modern buildings, etc.)

I would like to add Google+ to this list of things. I have no idea what it is (Facebook for slightly cooler people?), but I’m sick of hearing about it.

1. Jodi 22.Jul.11 at 9:04 pm

@M—–l, I wish everyone would quit talking about any form of social media at all, and just let everyone figure it out for themselves how and if it should fit into their lives.

8. Bonny 31.Jul.11 at 10:07 am

I am not interested in:

Lindsay Lohan
    any Lohan
    radishes
    Modern Family
    Rango
    sliders
    ditto for reggae
    Glenn Beck
    coconut, anything coconut

9. Elizabeth 31.Jul.11 at 3:52 pm

I came across your site while doing some research for a blog post of my own about Heart’s “All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You” video (specifically, I feel like the hitchhiker looks familiar and I was hoping the internet would know if he turned out to be someone famous or if his stint as the hitchhiker/illegitimate tree-planter was his one claim to fame).

Blah blah blah.

This comment, however, is about how I can’t agree with most of the other items on your list, but the #1 thing I refuse to eat: COOKED FRUIT.

People are amazed that I would be AWFUL enough to turn down something so all-American, but I just can’t get behind a crust filled with slimy (and frequently cinnamon-flavored) boogers.

1. Jodi 31.Jul.11 at 3:55 pm

@Elizabeth, I hear you. My favorite is how people get actually offended when you say you don’t like pie. Like it’s an affront to all that is good and true.