Actual quotes uttered by the old sexist in my writing class

“Why are there so many women in this class?”

“It was overwritten, boring, and I didn’t like it.”

“I just didn’t care for any of it.”

“Well, I’m not a woman so maybe women like that kind of thing. You know love and that.”

[while workshopping a short story written by a female classmate] “Your writing is soft, and so I didn’t understand a lot of it. If you want male readers it has to be harder.” [to which I responded in my head, “that’s what she said.”]

“Don’t you know anything about Vietnam? If you’d have been in Vietnam you’d have understood the significance of that line.” [He said this to me because he had some questions about the feedback I had written on his story]

Poor Vodo. I swear the outspoken, unbalanced, and offensive are drawn to his classes.

1. M-----l 18.Jul.11 at 8:21 pm

I read this post three times before I realized that the old sexist wasn’t the teacher. I think my confusion arose because your sentences are so soft. Have you considered writing harder?

1. Jodi 18.Jul.11 at 8:25 pm

@M—–l, I write so hard that the T-key on my keyboard is about to fall off.

2. Jason 19.Jul.11 at 7:56 am

JESUS, was nobody here in Nam?! Well this story wasn’t written for you anyway.

3. Doug 19.Jul.11 at 10:37 pm

Eh, there were moments I would have taken some sexism over the chirping crickets I got in many of my workshop classes. At least there’s the hint of participation…

4. LeAnn 20.Jul.11 at 3:28 pm

You said something to him, right? I would’ve ripped him a new one. I’m one of those crazy women with annoying hormones, after all.

If this man was straight I’m hoping he’s single.

5. Peabo 29.Jul.11 at 11:02 pm

HA! Okay, I officially miss class with you and Vodo. In that order.

1. Jodi 01.Aug.11 at 12:08 pm

@Peabo, I have been writing down Vodo’s best quotes too. Expect a ‘Best of Vodoisms 2011’ post when class is over in a few weeks.

1. Peabo 02.Aug.11 at 12:08 pm

@Jodi, I would expect nothing less. Looking forward to it. We should do a grumpy’s trip where the Vodo is actually invited before y’all are done as well.