I only got one more rap, let’s see what happens

One of the things that terrify me most is wholly forgetting something as if I never knew the information to begin with. For instance, this week when I completely forgot that I was supposed to babysit the Tibbles on Tuesday afternoon. I generally have a freakishly good memory. It’s why I often tell people that eventually I will creep them out by remembering some arcane detail they told me once, and then repeat that detail at some point and they will think I am stalking them.

It’s a burden, and probably the key to why people think I’m so smart.

So when I completely forget something it takes me roughly 23 seconds to slippery slope right to being in a nursing home with advanced, early-onset Alzheimers. Then, as I’m wiping the imaginary drool from my chin I remember that I still know all the words to “Iesha” by Another Bad Creation* and then I don’t feel so bad. Also, semi-related, last week while driving home from class I realized I still remember all the cities mentioned in Huey Lewis & The News’ “The Heart of Rock & Roll.”

*I’m working on a rock & roll book which is forcing me to plumb the depths of my musical history.

1. Christa 21.Jul.11 at 10:59 am

I used to have a fantastic memory and was the go-to person when my high school friends wanted me to remind them about something that happened when we were 15.

In the past few months I’ve lost this and I’m always trying to grab at names and songs and other nonsense that doesn’t really matter, but that is frustrating because I can’t remember it the way I used to.

The good news is that I just sat here going “Iesha,” “Iesha,” “Iesha,” … trying to remember a lick about that song. And it all came back. Phew. Thanks for the test.

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 11:02 am

@Christa, Do you ever wonder what you could have done had your brain not been clogged with lyrics to early-90s novelty rap? Sometimes I do, but then I listen to “Motownphilly” by Boys II Men and realize my brain made the right decision.

2. Christa 21.Jul.11 at 11:06 am

Gah! This is so fun hearing these titles! Keep ’em coming, lady. If you don’t watch yourself, I’m going to make you make me a mixtape.

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 11:09 am

@Christa, I’ve been in early 90s hip-hoppy sort of stuff all morning. My friend Josh brought up Motownphilly. I also listened to En Vogue’s “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get it), Bobby Brown’s “Every Little Step,” Bell Biv Devoe’s “Poison,” and then I slid into the 80s with some New Edition “Cool it Now.”

3. Christa 21.Jul.11 at 11:12 am

I’m madly in love with you.

Let me know if you want me to rap “Let’s Talk About Sex,” the extended remix version with the especially awesome and rare third verse. I play the role of Salt.

1. Jodi 21.Jul.11 at 11:13 am

@Christa, I’m pretty sure the entire World Wide Web needs to hear that.