But Mr. Mister really was on the radio

The time to come clean has arrived. What I’m about to tell you will shock and perhaps appall you. Some of you will ridicule me mercilessly for this weakness. Others of you will promptly dismiss everything I ever say about music again. But I have to get this off my chest.

I’ve already told the people closest to me and after the initial shock they have chosen to ignore this momentary lapse in judgement. Well, except for my BFK, because she’s still emotionally scarred from that time I bitched endlessly when she made me go see Train.

Here it goes: I love the song “Hey Soul Sister” by Train.

I said it, and I don’t regret it. I won’t apologize.

The heart wants what it wants and I have no more ability to control my adoration of this song than I do the tides. I’m fully aware that I am one of the few people on the planet (aside from all the advertisers) who loves this song.

I love “Hey Soul Sister” because in eighth grade I sat behind Derek Broten. He was a short, floppy-haired skater who was the nephew of an NHL legend and I was a 6’2″ girl who cataloged her Sweet Valley High books in a notebook with aqua-colored paper.

It was English class. He was first in the row and I was second. We must have been seated alphabetically because usually I was shoved in the back corner so I wasn’t blocking anyone’s view of the board. Derek was a talker, and so was I, when spoken to.

At least three times every class Mrs. Weingarten would tell Derek to turn around and be quiet. But this didn’t often stop him. He was a surreptitious side of the mouth talker. I cannot remember what we talked about all the time, probably how much The Hobbit sucked.

My friend Lori Cantele liked Derek Broten. I don’t think she was in our English class. But if she was, that throws my alphabetical seating theory out the window. She and I would spend many many hours on the phone dissecting all of Derek’s utterings. One weekend, Lori spent the night at my house and convinced me to look up Derek’s phone number and call him.

And I totally did!

This was out of character (and still is) for me. I called him up and we talked about how he was making macaroni and cheese and the song Kyrie by Mr. Mister. It was literally playing on the radio as we spoke.

I fell for the Train song the moment I heard it. Only I didn’t know it was a Train song, because I heard it watching an 8-year-old kid with a ukelele sing it. It wasn’t until I started to hear the song on all the commercials and began to ask people who the song was by that I discovered it was by Train. That was, incidentally, the exact same time I realized people despised the song.

But I don’t care. I love that song because it reminds me of talking to a cute boy in English class, hating The Hobbit, and being the kind of brave girl who would call a boy on the phone.

1. Annie 06.Oct.10 at 10:08 am

And you’re still a brave girl!

Love your hair!

2. Bill Roehl 06.Oct.10 at 10:09 am

I swear my undying love for Steppenwolf comes not because they are an awesome band, especially live, but because I kissed Katie on the bus coming home from Hershey Park after listening to that tape the entire trip down and half of it back.

Thanks for bringing me back to 6th grade.

3. FS 06.Oct.10 at 10:29 am

I am promptly dismissing everything I ever say about music again.

Also, I regularly read The Hobbit to my six-year old, and we both love it. Which is why I don’t particularly trust what you say about literature, either.

4. Jodi 06.Oct.10 at 10:31 am

It should come as no surprise that I’m not a fan of the fantasy books. You should take a page from Bill’s book and share a song/band you love because of the memory it evokes and not so much because of the musical quality.

5. FS 06.Oct.10 at 10:34 am

Four Non-Blondes transports me instantly back to spring of my freshman year of college.

6. Jodi 06.Oct.10 at 10:36 am

Wow. I suddenly feel so much better for liking a Train song. I cannot abide the non-blondes.

7. hotrod 06.Oct.10 at 10:42 am

I already automatically dismiss everything you have to say about music. This is just more evidence that I was right all along.

Four Non-Blondes transports me to a miserable summer between my junior and senior years of college.

8. Jodi 06.Oct.10 at 10:46 am

Hotrod, for someone who claims to love Batman for all his dark imperfections, you sure put on this weird Superman pose of perfection. It’s our weaknesses that make us interesting, right? My love of this song just adds to my interestingness.

9. Chris@TheSnackHound 06.Oct.10 at 9:14 pm

I’m such a nerd. I’ve been trying to figure out exactly WHICH Mr. Mister song was playing on the radio as referred to in the song. “Take These Broken Wings?” “Is it Love?” “Kyrie?” “Something Real?” or is there no significant meaning other than Mr. Mister rhymes with Sister? Talking about Mr. Mister just gives a whole different connotation than talking about foot blister…or Twister.

10. Chris@TheSnackHound 06.Oct.10 at 9:16 pm

Just an added note for extra geekery – I found your blog because I was googling to find out which Mr. Mister song it was referring to…thinking there was some thoughtful interview out there somewhere. Ok. You’ve got me. I’ve been outed on this.

11. Jodi 06.Oct.10 at 9:18 pm

Chris, did it ever occur to you that the singer of the song could be mistaken. He’s asking “ain’t that Mr. Mister on the radio?” What if it’s just a Mr. Misteresque band? What if it’s really Cutting Crew and the singer of the song is just totally inept at guessing bands?

12. Chris@TheSnackHound 06.Oct.10 at 9:47 pm

Ah yes, maybe the lipstick stain on his left front brain scrambled things up inside there somewhere…

Ok. I guess I am more of a romantic, thinking that he isn’t randomly rattling off stuff that is going on in the environment, but calling attention to the song, as it says something he is feeling but its too creepy to say so early on, but maybe she’ll get it. (Ah, a refreshing run-on sentence) Perhaps, instead, there is an awkward moment and he fishes for a distraction, like Doug the Dog in “Up,” it’s the equivalent of saying, “Squirrel! Sorry…” “Hey….It’s Mr. Mister…”

But…your theory does have…merit…

13. embermiya 08.Oct.10 at 2:46 pm

When you said you despised The Hobbit I almost stopped reading this. Still not sure why I didn’t.

14. Elizabeth 09.Oct.10 at 7:17 pm

Aren’t our ’embarrassing’ likes what really make us interesting? I think I finally realized that when I embraced my love of geeky things and not worried about why I didn’t like the ‘cool’ things I found some wisdom. Or maybe I’m just old. But I just downloaded a bunch of 80s stuff from iTunes that I never would have bought when it was originally played on the radio but want to listen to now.

15. Doug 17.Oct.10 at 11:38 pm

Something to make you feel better perhaps: Mr. Mister played at my Grad Night party.

At least you’re not yet old enough for that.