Not a pink girl

There’s this Best Buy commercial going around the TV with the blue-shirted dude talking about the three women who needed laptops. All three of them had different needs, like one needed something easy, one needed something else, and one needed a pink laptop because she ran a business called pink.

Every time I see this commercial I roll my eyes dramatically and say out loud, “oh, really, she needs a pink laptop. NEEDS?”

I don’t get the woman-pink thing. We all know those women, who love love love pink. They buy everything in pink and when they find something that isn’t usually pink in pink they will buy it and say, “it’s so me!” It’s always pink too. It’s not orange or green or brown, only pink. I even know women who are so pink that they will go out of their way to make their things that were not originally pink, pink.

We all have a penchant for certain colors, I get that. I like orange. I have orange sweaters, orange bags, an orange pen, and orange pillows. I even have an orange cat. I love the color orange. However, I do not want my computer to be orange or my cell phone to be orange. If I were to ever see an orange toaster, I like to think I wouldn’t buy it and screech “it’s so me!”

So why pink? Is it some sort of urge to feminize everything? Is a territory-marking mechanism? I don’t get it because I am not a pink a girl. I’ve tried to be a pink girl and have failed miserably. I’m more a of a brown girl.

1. Doug 04.Feb.09 at 2:07 am

Oh, Jodi, don’t you know: It’s never too late to help reinforce gender stereotypes.

What will be impressive is when that same commercial is made with a heterosexual male. Somewhere out there must be straight dudes who just like pink but cannot admit it, just waiting for someone to act as their spokesperson (as it were) in a retail store ad.

I don’t care that much for pink, myself, but if the money’s good, eh, I can fake it.

It’ll take more than a free laptop. That’s for sure.

2. Barrett 04.Feb.09 at 8:04 am

I actually know a woman who’s that way with yellow. She wears yellow everything, from head to toe. Once, I happened to be donating blood at the same time as her, and you know how they give you those little rubber toys to squeeze to get the blood flowing? Well, after she left the bloodmobile, one of the nurses actually punched the other one in the arm and hissed, “Why didn’t you give her the DUCK?”

Not what you’re driving at, I know, but I just wanted to tell that story.

3. Peabo 04.Feb.09 at 8:51 am

I do like pink. I’m not insane about it, but I enjoy it. And not because I’m a girl. I don’t think pink reinforces a girl stereotype any more than blue might show off my “masculine side.” I did buy a pink phone…but I rarely wear pink. It’s just a color. I’m more apt to wear brown or orange or dark green. For furniture I prefer red. Oh, and some of my yoga clothes are bright pink. Yay.

4. Lerren 04.Feb.09 at 9:44 am

Before the turn of the century, Pink (also known as “light red”) was the more masculine colour, and blue and light blue were the more feminine ones. Then, about the turn of the century, it switched (I’m vaguely remembering it having something to do with expense of dye changing). Girls are told that they should like pink, by media like this commercial, in order to be feminine. And then they want everything pink, so that they are feminine. Which just then turns around and reinforces the idea that feminine girls like pink.

Orange, on the other hand, is thought to be the colour of insanity 🙂

5. Barrett 04.Feb.09 at 10:13 am

Truthfully, I don’t see this as having much at all to do with gender. I see people all the time who want to buy their personality in a kit, and this is just one of those kits. It’s no different than plastering your home, car, and body with the Green Bay Packers’ colors. Some people pierce their faces and wear nothing but black. Same thing.

Instead of going through the pain and difficulty of actually figuring out who you are and what you stand for, and having the bravery to truly be yourself, you can just say, “I love pink!” or “I’m moody and dark,” or “PACKERS!” and there you go.

6. JRC 04.Feb.09 at 1:15 pm

Colors are not just gender-specific but culture-specific as well. Pink is a male color in Korea, and many boys have traditional clothes – Hanboks – in what we would call “hot pink”.

7. The Other Mike 04.Feb.09 at 1:55 pm

Oh, but I love pink…pink pink pink in all its glorious colors. And I think it makes my eyes look brighter and makes my winter tone into a kind of summery albino. Then when dating a pink lady, wooo, watch out world…I think I even strut.

Holy sweet jezuz, now you know why I’m not in sales, I could never keep up the bullshit, always caving in, back to the reliable truth.

I like black, unless it starts to make people wonder, then I like to mix in a nice solid navy blue. Black and blue, yup, thank God for corporate dress codes forcing me to buy white shirts.

But actually, meh, I don’t care what I wear any more than those pinkos. What I really came here to say is we need to get together some night. You driving into town for classes anymore, give me a call, if you don’t have my number, reach the Deets. Later babe–Mike

8. UH 05.Feb.09 at 6:36 pm

My daughter has diversified since she was a little girl who would only have things in pink. Now, it’s pink and purple.

9. Heather Cook 05.Feb.09 at 9:11 pm

For 30 years I refused to wear pink. Why? Because I’m a redhead and SOMEONE told me that red and pink don’t go together. Then one day I was cold at work and I put a pink sweater on and…. wouldn’t you know it but it suits my complexion perfectly. What the heck? I felt like saying “screw you, world, you can’t tell me what to wear!!” Now I have a whole TWO pink items in my closet.