Let this be a lesson to you

If you go to a liquor store in Shakopee, MN at 9 a.m. and buy a six-pack of beer they will look at you a little askance. When you try to explain how you need it to pay off a debt you have with your co-worker Dougs*, they will flatten their mouths into a thin judgmental line and give a barely imperceptible shake of their head.

If you sing along to Polyester Bride with the windows down on your way to Hell, Inc. for the last time on a Monday morning it will make you feel better. Following that up with a Hall & Oate singalong will make you feel even better than before.

You cannot, apparently, sing “and shook a little turd out of the bottom of your pants” on 89.3 The Current.

*the bet was made back before Thanksgiving. It was in regards to whether or not I would still be employed on Valentine’s Day. When the layoffs came everyone was stunned by my psychic ability. Dougs won on a technicality, so we called it a draw and both brought each other beer.

1. UH 25.Feb.08 at 9:14 pm

Somehow I pictured Shakopee as being more beer-tolerant than that.

Maybe I’m getting them mixed up with Sheboygan.

2. Jodi 25.Feb.08 at 9:16 pm

Maybe I just patronize the snooty liquor store. It’s like you can’t buy a six-pack of Lake Superior Ale at 9 a.m. on a Monday morning without people getting all uppity. Sheesh.

3. bakiwop 26.Feb.08 at 9:03 am

last day? i thought you had until march 3rd or some such?

4. Jodi 26.Feb.08 at 10:01 am

No, the last Monday. My last day coming in here will be Friday and the last actual day of my employment is March 3rd.

Got it?

5. bakiwop 26.Feb.08 at 6:44 pm

ahhh, that must be the HR-sponsored, company-certified dismissal schedule. gotcha.

6. Jodi 26.Feb.08 at 6:45 pm

Is there anything else you need to know? Do you want me to send you a copy of my termination letter?

7. NBFB 27.Feb.08 at 10:08 am

Try waiting outside before they open, buying a half gallon of vodka, and taking a few swigs in the car before you leave the parking lot. When you’re at that point, you don’t care how they look at you.

8. bakiwop 27.Feb.08 at 2:21 pm

well, since you asked and all … i wouldn’t like a copy of your termination letter, but how about another story or two of yours to read. i thoroughly enjoyed the last one and would like to read some more.

9. Sornie 03.Mar.08 at 9:51 am

I was wondering too if I was the only person at least a bit perturbed by the hack-job the Current did in editing what is otherwise a great song by The Moldy Peaches.

10. Jodi 03.Mar.08 at 9:53 am

Nope, I caught it too. It even sounds weird, because they repeat that do a little dance line twice in a row.