I can’t believe my dilemma is real, I’m competing with the man of steel

supes

Saturday night I stayed up until two in the morning watching “The Amazing Story of Superman” on the History Channel. Then because it wasn’t quite late enough, I stayed up a little while longer to watch Kevin Smith and the dreamy Michael Chabon (and it’s odd I find him dreamy considering how much I thought The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay sucked) talk some more about the history of comic books in general.

I have to admit that I’m really enjoying the Superman publicity machine. I have a huge thing for Superman. It’s one of those weird things that I can’t explain. I just love the whole myth much the same way that six year olds love Santa Claus.

So it pains me to say that despite the fact that I cried three separate times watching “Superman Returns,” I was a little underwhelmed by the movie.

First off, I have to completely disagree with Wendy about Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I’m sorry Wendy Darling, but that woman was so not Lois Lane. Not even close. She had none of Lois’ sass or moxie. She had absolutely no screen prescence. She couldn’t command a scene to save her life. She was overshadowed by every single actor in the movie, even the little kid.

However, I do think that the guy who played Superman was pretty great — just the right blend of sexiness and goodness — something all good Supermen need. Kevin Spacey was pretty rad as Lex Luthor, but poor Parker Posey was totally and completely wasted in the role of his girlfriend. I could have played Kitty for as much as that character mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Even though I find myself quite ambivalent about the whole movie, I have to admit that I cried about three times watching the flick. Sometimes, it seems, I get kind of carried away with the whole idea of Superman. Of this perfect guy who just wants to help everyone and make everything right. I get totally choked up with the hopefulness and optimism of just the idea of Superman. Which probably goes a long way to explaining why he appeals to me so much.

1. Charles 10.Jul.06 at 2:01 pm

Test

2. wendy 10.Jul.06 at 2:05 pm

i could only base my opinion on just superman returns, having never seen the original two.

i’m ordering them from amazon today, tho!

3. jodi 10.Jul.06 at 2:06 pm

Didn’t you ever see Lois & Clark? Read a comic book? Anything?

Kate Bosworth blows goats as Lois.

4. kelly 10.Jul.06 at 4:19 pm

I’m concurring 1000% on Bosworth sucking my left one as Lois Lane, for all the reasons you stated, plus the additional fact that she looked like she was about 20. Yeah, Pulitzer Prize winning 20 year old journalist. My ass.

I thought Spacey did well with what they gave him, which was shit. Real Estate? Really?

I like Parker Posey, just because I like saying Parker Posey.

And I also enjoyed the actor who played Superman, but sometimes it was a little oogie because once in awhile he looked EXACTLY like Christopher Reeve, and once in awhile he sounded EXACTLY like Christopher Reeve and then sometimes not at all….and then occasionally he looked almost animated, which I just didn’t understand.

5. kelly 10.Jul.06 at 4:28 pm

Yeah, she’s 23. She was born in 1983, which means that three of the four original Superman movies were out before she was. She had no business playing that role.

6. jodi 10.Jul.06 at 4:30 pm

That also means she had the kid when she was 18. I wonder how she got through J-school with that kid.

7. wendy 10.Jul.06 at 4:48 pm

no! i’ve never seen anything superman-related. i don’t know why either!

8. kara 10.Jul.06 at 4:54 pm

How’d she get through J-school & win a Pulitzer by the time she was 23? That just doesn’t seem believable at all.

I haven’t seen the movie, but from what I hear the main gripe people have is with Kate Bosworth playing Lois Lane.

9. kelly 10.Jul.06 at 6:08 pm

Wait wait wait. Kate Bosworth is 23. I have no idea how old her silly Lois Lane re-enactment is supposed to be. A 23 year old playing someone who (probably) should be in her early 30s? I have no problem with, so long as she can act. Bosworth, not so much with the ability to act.

10. UH 10.Jul.06 at 7:21 pm

Pink bras are teh sexay.

11. FFJ 10.Jul.06 at 7:41 pm

nice rack in the pink bra…

i completely agree with you assesment of the film. which we have already discussed. however, standing in line last night to see johnny depp down and dirty in Pirates 2, i heard the theme music for superman floating through the line as the light lock doors opened and people came from just seeing the movie. and the music has been overlooked.

sitting in the theatre, hearing that duh DA DA Da duhduhduh DA DA duhduhdadada – it made me pause. my chest swelled at little hearing it and i wanted to do good. that’s the charm of superman, his actions are contagious. while luke skywalker makes you want to fight with your lightsaber, and neo makes you want to learn jujitsu, superman makes you want to let people in while you are stopped on the highway. that’s the true mark of a hero – he/she makes you want to be a better person.

like, right now, i want a pink bra.

12. Thomas 11.Jul.06 at 9:42 am

Trying to help people and make things right are the things all us super heroes are known for, Jodi.

13. lou 12.Jul.06 at 6:33 pm

I wish I could have caught more of that stuff on the History channel after you told me about it but, well, sleep and my flight out in the am. It looked good though!