the perils of being an adopted child

i have to get a passport. yes, i’m 33 years old and i don’t have a passport. but the time has come, i’ll be taking an out of the country business trip coming up here pretty soon. so i’m tooling about online and i find the online passport form that you can fill out, print and bring down to city hall. as i’m filling out the form, i get the portion marked Father. i never know what the fuck to put here. am i supposed to go with the father listed on my birth certificate? or do i put down the information for the man who raised me, the man i called dad? i went with dad and i’m hoping this goes much easier than i anticipate that it will.

(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)


  1. Thomas 28.Oct.05 at 9:21 am

    Not that you’ll NEED to find another job again, but if you do, you can use your passport as a single source of ID. Most employers want a state ID AND Social Security card AND credit card AND all sorts of other crapola. You can say, “Here’s my PASSPORT!” and give them nothing else.

    You are a rockstar anyway, you should have a passport. Make the Canadians stamp it too!

  2. JustMe 28.Oct.05 at 2:43 pm

    Legally, you have to put the name of the person listed on your birth certificate as your father. The government doesn’t care who raised you.

  3. UH 28.Oct.05 at 10:09 pm

    I’m 38 years old and don’t have a passport, so there.

  4. IE 31.Oct.05 at 4:12 pm

    Besides, it is always nice to think that you can leave the country at any time. You never know when the opportunity may present itself.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.