i’ve got to slip it up before the rush gets gone

because my 9 o’clock meeting was cancelled i FINALLY got a chance to listen to Roland (yes Roland) the iPod. see last night was busy with bookclub and talking on the phone to darlingjason and then sleeping because i had that aforementioned meeting. so after all that hullaballoo i finally settled in for a listen.

and the very first song was. . .*

Lucinda Williams’ “Just Want to See You so Bad.”

yes, a darkhorse came out of nowhere. it was gonna be Soul Coughing’s Rolling, but apparently i haven’t ripped El Oso yet and that song is not currently residing on the namesake, Roland.

but at the last moment i thought that with all the anticipation of Roland’s arrival the Lu song just seemed really most fitting.

so then we put it on shuffle and the first twosong were Soul Coughing’s “Unmarked Helicopters” and Paul Westerberg doing the ‘mats “can’t Hardly Wait” live.

Roland knows his roots already.

1. jodi 10.Mar.05 at 1:09 pm

* some people might claim that because i hit shuffle accidentally and Roland pulled up the strokes “Is this it” that it is indeed the first song. but that person would be wrong, dead wrong.

2. Lori 10.Mar.05 at 3:33 pm

Geez … I hope that wasn’t a secret message from Roland indicating he wasn’t happy with his new locale. Perhaps the delay in delivery was more significant than we thought!

3. jodi 10.Mar.05 at 3:37 pm

if that is a secret message roland’s gonna get spanked and i’ll make him listen to nothing but crappy crap crap like the Barenaked ladies, Matchbox 20 and zamfir master of the pan flute.

4. Lori 10.Mar.05 at 4:02 pm

That’ll teach him. On a more serious note, have you heard Ryan Adams’ cover “Is This It?” ? It’s sort of weird and trance-y-ish, but I like it.

5. Damon 10.Mar.05 at 5:03 pm

Hey, you may make fun of Zamfir, but he IS Master of the Pan Flute.

6. UH 10.Mar.05 at 5:56 pm

Oh, you did not just diss BNL.

7. jodi 10.Mar.05 at 6:08 pm

oh yes i did. BNL sucks giant donkey balls.

8. Damon 10.Mar.05 at 6:11 pm

Yeah, I’m with UH…unless you’ve seen BNL live then you can’t talk smack about ’em in the least!

They are a great live act (not to mention many of their albums being great as well)

9. PeeWee 11.Mar.05 at 5:54 pm

You are the first and only person I have ever heard of who didn’t like BNL.
    When the ex left, he took Gordon with him, and I miss that CD (miss the ex? Not so much.)

10. jodi 11.Mar.05 at 6:00 pm

really? am i the only perosn that doesn’t like BNL? it’s just somethign about their songs that are so so so jingle-like. blech.

11. Jeff L 13.Mar.05 at 4:05 am

after hours of reading your posts, the BNL/MB20 thing was the first to chap my ass. BNL’s ‘what a good boy’ & MB20’s ‘unwell’ have earned a forever place in my collection. kind of goes with my spend my time in cottonwood life. i won’t hold it against you, just remember if you don’t have something nice to say…

minor p.s. – i agree ‘someone i once knew’, not his best – save, smokin’ a roundie… & with my six string buddy….

12. jodi 13.Mar.05 at 12:42 pm

jeff, if the BNL/MB20 things is the only thing that chaps your ass, i must be doing pretty damn good, don’t you think?

13. UH 13.Mar.05 at 8:52 pm

Well, it also chaps my ass that you refuse to use the serial comma, but we won’t go on about that, will we?

14. Jeff L 14.Mar.05 at 2:54 am

jodi, somewhere in there was a kindly, oblique, and somewhat ambigious compliment to you. Bands/Musicians I like: BNL, PW & MB20. er… HOF & MB20… I mean Rob Thomas & MB20. damn you serial comma.
    (serial comma ranking only, PW stands alone at the top of any music list I would ever order)
    Billy Bragg & Wilco- California Stars. although I can’t say I hear his voice… WAYLT thread. 2/14