i’ll be home when i’m sleeping

one of my new favorite things about the TTHM is his new found appreciation for the genius of st. paul and the replacements. i do, of course, take total credit for this, because well, it’s all because of me! it started with the Songs of Loneliness and Heartache that i made for him about 100 years ago. now, he listens to them a lot, and i can’t help it, it tickles me to no end.

i just love when my preaching of the st. paul gospel converts someone new. and well, the only thing i love to talk about more than st. paul and the ‘mats is probably cute boys and/or books.

and well, tonight he called and left a message saying he was gonna sing the first two verses of Nobody, though he never got around to it on the answering machine. eventually, i called him back and we spent a goodly amount of time talking about st. paul and now, i just can’t stop smiling because any sunday where you spend like six hours working can’t be all bad when you get to spend time talking about the ‘mats with one of your favorite people.

when someone i like so much gets into the replacements it just makes me giddy. it’s as though they are really starting understand a whole part of me that not so many people get. and that just feels so good, you know?

1. Poppy 19.Jul.04 at 7:46 am

Preach on, Sister! Hallelujah!

Yesterday morning, my hubby was so proud of himself. He was listening to one of the digital music stations when “Alex Chilton” came on. He recognized it as a ‘Mats song all on his own. It’s only taken me 6+ years, but I think I’ve finally gotten through to that boy. Praise Jebus and St. Paul!

2. Danny 19.Jul.04 at 8:29 am

I forgot all about the “you’re the Friday night frozen pizza king” line that fits everything so perfectly!

Thanks for the public service 🙂

3. the TTHM 19.Jul.04 at 11:18 am

since you are always right and i have nothing, nothing but righteous faith in the depth and breadth of your correctness, i can only think that i must be imagining this, but the first ‘mats CD you sent me was in September of last year, i think as preliminary b-day present, and included about 26 or so ‘mats and PW songs roughly chronologically arranged without any titles so i no idea what names they carry, i just know the hooks.

The Songs of Loneliness and Heartache CD came later on in January of this year in what would be the 9th month of my crying over spilt milk, being a baby and all.

4. the TTHM 19.Jul.04 at 11:37 am

oh, and checking the songlist from Songs of Loneliness and Heartache, the actual line in Crackle and Drag is:
    “you’ll never repair the ladies cursed with insight” followed by “you’ll never fix her with a cold stare she’s all broken inside” but your version is, of course, much much better…

5. heather 19.Jul.04 at 11:41 am

you get to play for me my first listen of the replacements, if you’re so inclined.

6. the TTHM 19.Jul.04 at 2:07 pm

I guarantee that before you retreat back across the border (did jodi mention anything to you about Homeland Security?) you will be singing the chorus to ‘I will dare’ and at least one of the verses. If I am blessed with your company in my japanese-engineered 4 wheel stereo listening room, you will further have endless opportunity to ‘climb to the top of that crummy water tower screaming, i can’t hardly wait’. Earplugs are, of course, optional. really, i can’t wait.

7. jodi 19.Jul.04 at 3:54 pm

sheesh, i’ve known you for a year and you’ve never talked about driving me anywhere.

hrmph.

8. heather 19.Jul.04 at 4:13 pm

um, i actually meant that jodi could give me my first replacement innoculation.