flowing with sweetness or honey

my first assignment for class is to bring a page of my favorite words. now, of course, i’m stuck. my favorite words are lame, egregious, dare, and draconian. that’s hardly a page. oh and mellifluous, melancholy, and lonely.

that’s all i can think of. how am i gonna come up with a whole page of words?

1. heather 06.Feb.04 at 9:56 am

you may borrow mine for class: plethora.

2. jodi 06.Feb.04 at 9:58 am

oh, don’t like plethora anymore. i had an evil co-worker who liked plethora and used it all the damn time. now a perfectly good word has been ruined by her evilness.

now myriad, myriad isn’t so bad. it makes me think of JD from heathers.

3. Brandon 06.Feb.04 at 10:38 am

Greetings and salutations…

sorry.. you were the one who brought up “Heathers”.

What about superfluous, wanton, or ubiquitous?

4. jodi 06.Feb.04 at 10:45 am

sorry but superfluous and ubiquitous are very high school to me. corey geving used to teach me new words all the time in creative writing class, and those were two of them. so yeah, they make me think sort of juvenile.

wanton though, that’s good, very good.

5. NBFB 06.Feb.04 at 11:06 am

antidisestablishmentarianism

6. jodi 06.Feb.04 at 11:08 am

you’re gonna have that on your list. sheesh.

7. Dana 06.Feb.04 at 11:30 am

Did you notice that these words tend to be adjectives? Except for that antidoodlewhakaparfait thing and plethora of course.

Hey. It just occured to me that a year from now I’ll be able to do a google search of that word and it’ll come up just once… on this very page. Splendid.

I’m fond of snarky. Also of several non-family words which seem to relate mostly to girly parts. Oh, and lullaby is a fine word, too. It’s got wonderous positive feel on the tongue.

Did you actually ask for help on this or are we just really enthusiastic little volunteers?

8. Tam 06.Feb.04 at 11:34 am

My most favorite word(s) when I was in high school were Zimbabwe and Botswana. (I’m well aware they’re African countries. I don’t care.) My most favorite word that’s impossible to work into most conversations is “Infarction”.

Other than those, I’m grooving on the word “onomatopoetic “… and “Zwip!” Zwip is a good one.

9. jodi 06.Feb.04 at 11:40 am

dana, we’re all just word nerds, that’s all. i LOVE snarky.

and i agree with tam, infarction is fun to say.

when i was in 4th grade my favorite word was banished.

and i love, love, love the way billy bragg says poems in the song “walt whitman’s niece.”

also, dare isn’t an adjective. and lullaby is a pretty word. i forgot about that one.

10. andrea 06.Feb.04 at 12:20 pm

i like gingko and freckle and darjeeling.

11. the TTHM 06.Feb.04 at 1:07 pm

zosterophyllophyta, rancor, precipitous, pis aller, kludge, frangible, cynosure (love that one), farrago, crepuscular, homunculus, animadversion, sinecure, cicatrix, tatterdemalion, sophrosyne (the accent’s on 2), hubris, pudenda, and, of course, fourchette.

12. Brandon 06.Feb.04 at 3:17 pm

hmm.. I’ll try and make up for my two “high school” words…

what about languor, or misanthrope?

My favoritest word is constitution. Like the composition of something, not the document.

13. wendy 07.Feb.04 at 6:37 am

umm…

what about eleventy billion or motherf*cker?

i don’t know a lot of words at 6:30 in the morning that don’t land on the Sacred List of Swearing.

14. minnekeith 08.Feb.04 at 12:28 am

heinous, moist, hegemonic, here (when being passed a doobie) and dad.