The irony of turning 10

The irony here is that on Saturday I Will Dare will celebrate it’s 10th Anniversary. It’s ironic because this month is probably the worst blogging month I’ve had in my blogging tenure. Blog.

Some days I panic and worry that I’ve become a victim of the social media monster, spending all my wit in 140-character chunks that are instantly disseminated to my “followers” and “friends.” But then I only need look at my Twitter stream to realize that one to two tweets a day is hardly all my wit.

I got leagues more wit (or whatever unit they measure wit by) than that.

Other days I worry that I’m just over the Internet. I’m sick of the (oh yes, yes, I’m whipping out the D word because it is the most apropos here) douchebaggy self-promotion and personal branding and pimping for clients. It’s all douchebags, pimps, and pushers — that’s the internet. I can think of about six people who manage the self-promotion without being totally annoying (two of whom I happen to be friends with, and I don’t say that just because they are my friends).

But then I realize that without the Internet I would have never known there was a movement to get Delaney and Bonnie into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I know this because while watching my daily “Roseanne” reruns I got to wondering who exactly Roseanne’s friend Bonnie was and if she was some famous singer (on the show she’s married to a character played by David Crosby). Turns out Bonnie was the first white Ikette (think Tina and Ike Turner) and the ONLY Allman Sister.

How rad is that? The fact that this information exists out on the Internet is proof that I’ll never be over it.

So what does it all mean? It means I’m in a rut. It means I haven’t had much to say and while that doesn’t always stop me, I’ve fallen off the writing wagon and haven’t managed to get back up.

But oh this week, if nothing else, this week will be different, because I plan to fill it with top 10 lists in honor of the auspicious blogiversary (and I’m open to Top 10 suggestions because right now I got Top 10 Roseanne episodes and Top 10 things I coulda wrote about but didn’t)

1. Kevin Fenton 27.Jul.10 at 7:38 am

AS a probably douche bag, I hear you–meaning i hear both the being over the internet and then realizing that it is kind of wondrous after all. When I worked at the Minnesota Daily, back in ancient times (I typed my reviews), we had a handwritten sign on the wall: “Let’s call this rut a groove and dance to it.”

2. bakiwop 27.Jul.10 at 9:02 am

i was just thinking the same thing with my bakiwop site. i thought, “hey, my bakiwop site is bakiwop and bakiwop bakiwop bakiwop bakiwop bakiwop.” but then realized, instead, that bakiwop bakiwop bakiwop – or, in other words: bakiwop.

in all seriousness – glad you’re still at it. now if we could just get you to answer emails. 🙂

3. Jodi 27.Jul.10 at 9:11 am

Kevin, you aren’t on my douchebag list. You aren’t even close to getting on it (at least not right now – ha!) I think the art of self-promotion via social media is to either recognize and announce that you realize you’re being annoyingly self-promotey, and to be sure to mix in other stuff with the promotion.

Baki, if it makes you feel better I got both your bakiwopmails and I didn’t delete them so they have the potential to be bakiwopped in the near bakiwop.

4. BFK 27.Jul.10 at 10:35 am

Congratulations, Jodi.
    It’s the first comment I’ve ever left, and I’ve only been reading for all 10 years. Some anniversary present, huh?
    While you may not believe me, you and your blog are worth loving whole heartedly, even in a rut. You sweat more wit in the lazygirl on a grey February afternoon than I could have in a lifetime.
    Happy Anniversary.

5. david 27.Jul.10 at 11:31 am

Your rut is almost every other blogger’s highlight reel, thanks for offering interesting reading material (both here and at Minnesota Reads).

Congratulations on 10 years, I am looking forward to the celebratory lists.

6. Kevin Fenton 28.Jul.10 at 7:30 am

Jodi–Thanks–and I’m with you about how to do whatever self-promotion we need to do. And I’d like to say that Bakiwop is now in my head, in a good way; that you should be congratulated on 10 years–that is really remarkable.