When Will My Childhood be Repackaged & Resold to Me Like They Do to the Boys?

When is Hollywood going to do a live-action version of Jem, repackaged and spiffed up for Gen-X women? They seem to spend all their time making big-budget live-action versions of the stuff boys like — Transformers, GI Joe. Plus, you can throw in things like the second Star Wars trilogy, the latest Indiana Jones, and probably all the comicbook movies (Iron Man, Hulk, Batman, Spider-Man, Superman) in the boy camp too.

But none of those are specifically geared towards women’s nostalgia. I’d even argue that remakes like The Brady Bunch and Scooby Doo were more gender neutral than anything.

I can’t seem to decide why this is. Does Hollywood think that women are only interested in lame, predictable romantic comedies? Are we not as attached to our childhood nostalgia as men are? Too attached?

1. Barrett 19.Aug.09 at 9:54 am

Wait. Are you saying that Transformers, GI Joe, Brady Bunch, and Scooby Doo aren’t lame and predictable?

That said, I’d be much more likely to see the Jem movie than I would the GI Joe movie. That would be awesome.

2. becky 19.Aug.09 at 10:44 am

Oh man. I refuse to admit how many hours I spent listening to the songs off of Jem, that I recorded with my stereo. So yeah, I’d probably watch it.

3. Bonny 19.Aug.09 at 12:45 pm

Always thought the GoGos would be great cartoon characters.

4. david 21.Aug.09 at 12:02 pm

Wasn’t there a live action Josie and the Pussycats film?

5. Placemat 21.Aug.09 at 4:13 pm

We are the Misfits,
    We’re gonna get you!

Never watched it.

That’s my story, & I’m sticking to it.

Show’s over,
    Placemat

6. robyn 22.Aug.09 at 7:42 pm

haha, my boyfriend just said “it’s probably because women grow up, men never grow up and stay boys forever”