new writing workshop rules

Tod Goldberg offers new rules for the writing workshops he teaches. I am thinking of printing it out and handing it out to my classmates.

1. Peabo 22.Sep.07 at 11:51 pm

Fantastic list….and deliciously ironic that he uses an apostrophe incorrectly in rule #3. I also think that, while standing up and yelling ‘you all fucking suck’ is a little dramatic, sitting at grumpy’s and discussing how certain people fucking suck is totally acceptable.

2. FFJ 25.Sep.07 at 10:09 am

i just got stories from vodo’s intermediate class. no lie, one of the stories starts out, “The day beat red”, and i thought beets were red, but if there was a race, i’m glad the day won. the story also has costumers buying things at a farmer’s market instead of customers. where are the rules for the readers? where are the guidelines for us so we don’t grab the nearest woodland creature and choke it in frustration?

ladies, i think we have work to do….

3. jags 25.Sep.07 at 10:43 am

Unless the costumers were purchasing bolts of cloth?

4. Peabo 25.Sep.07 at 11:50 am

5. Peabo 25.Sep.07 at 11:50 am

Oh I gave up on typos and other such nonsense ages ago. Not enough time in the day, man. As the reader you are allowed (and I think encouraged) to write a big red HUH?!? next to anything you don’t understand. When is your story up, FFJ?

6. Peabo 25.Sep.07 at 11:51 am

Aww hell. Speaking of typos…..

7. FFJ 25.Sep.07 at 4:43 pm

i am turning something in mid-october, but have already started working on it.

and during the lush descriptions of fruits, veggies and flowers, there was no mention to bolts of fabric, so, i think the costumers were in the wrong place.