Literary pursuits, or I sure as hell hope this gets easier

I did it.

After years of writing short stories and listening to Peabo tell me I need to submit my work, I’ve done it. I’ve entered my story “Boobs LaRue” in Glimmer Train’s Short Story contest for new writers. I figure I’m about as new as they get.

My stomach hurts. I think this might be the kind of feelings moms get when they send their kids to kindergarden. I’ve shoved one of my babies out into the cold, hard world without me. What if Boobs can’t fend for herself? What if nobody in class likes her?

This is scary as hell. I am hoping it gets easier, since I have about four more places I want to submit stories to over the next few months.

1. shokkou 17.Sep.07 at 7:09 am

May the Muses find pleasure in your mind-worlds and make Boobs the NEXT BIG THING(tm) right up there with Harry Potter.

2. Peabo 17.Sep.07 at 8:25 am

It does get easier…not much, but a little. There are new challanges with each submission. But, you rock hard core for sending it out (and you’re right, it is exactly as you describe it). One last piece of advice: don’t look at the story again until it’s accepted/rejected. You’ll find a billion things you want to fix and it will make you miserable.

Good job, friend!!

3. jskunk 17.Sep.07 at 11:35 am

Good luck! I am impressed you submitted. It is a big step. Congratulations!

4. Placemat 17.Sep.07 at 12:40 pm

Cool beans. Hope someday to find you in the stacks of my local book store.

5. Lori 17.Sep.07 at 5:34 pm

Yikes. How scary and exciting. It’s awesome that you’re making the leap. Betcha you’re famous in no time!!

6. david 18.Sep.07 at 11:47 pm

Voted, and I will help spread the good word (and hopefully the vote) tomorrow.