The two reasons I haven’t felt so swell today

Poutine

This is poutine. Dana, our Canuckian member of Rock & Roll Bookclub, made it for us last night. In case you can’t tell from the picture poutine consists of French fries, cheese curds, and gravy (though in Canada they make it with special ‘poutine sauce’). Clearly, Canada can teach a thing or two about junk food. I had no idea.

Behind the delectable bowl of poutine (I can’t stop saying poutine) is an empty shot glass and a lime rind. At one point the shot glass contained some Patron tequila.

I had entirely too much of both of these things last night. Hence my hangover and desire for greasy pad thai. After much sitting around and yawning, I am happy to report that I will make a full recovery in time for the State Fair on Thursday.

1. Wolfdogg 28.Aug.07 at 2:11 am

Now you made me hungry again.

2. shokkou 28.Aug.07 at 6:26 am

I drink tequila all the time, all varieties, and know for a FACT you cannot GET a hangover from Patron. You can drink it until you pass out and wake up fresh and ready to start again. Therefore, your hangover must’ve been from cheap limes and/or old salt, or (and more likely) from mixing it with that nasty greasy poontang. That’s some crazy sh!t right there. ;o)

3. Lori 28.Aug.07 at 7:35 am

Do you have horseshoes up north? They originated in Springfield, IL (as I did and also Abe Lincoln). Anyway, you take a big slice of Texas toast, top it with meat (used to just be a hamburger patty, but these days you can get any meat — buffalo chicken breast is popular). Layer the meat with french fries until the whole plate is covered. Then pour cheese sauce over the entire concoction and sell it for seven bucks! Yummy way to clog your arteries. But gravy? Really? Huh. Not so sure. And yes, Patron can kill you (or at least make you puke in your friend’s kitchen sink and come home wearing someone else’s clothes. Or so I’ve *heard*). Have fun and send pix from the fair. IL’s was a few weeks back and it was H-O-T!

4. Jodi 28.Aug.07 at 11:08 pm

So basically a Horeshoe is an open-faced cheeseburger with fries on top of it?

5. Lori 29.Aug.07 at 6:34 pm

Well, sorta. It’s Texas toast on the bottom and fries cover the whole plate with meat underneath. Then cheese sauce is poured over everything. All I know is that it’s a BIG deal in Springfield and a mandatory meal for visitors. There are also long-standing arguments about who invented it, the original cheese sauce recipe, etc. I say any excuse to eat cheese-laden fries is ok with me! I’d even try poutine if I trusted the Canadian who made it.

6. Scooby Doo Mansioneer 01.Sep.07 at 4:42 pm

Have any of the francophonic Cannucks offered any theories as to why “poutine” sounds so close to “poutaine”?