Cutting the cable: one week later & I’m almost ready for a paradigm shift

So last week I made the big plunge into a world without cable television. That is a bit of a exaggeration because I still have basic cable, but only because it’s cheaper to have cable + internet rather than no cable at all. It doesn’t make sense to me either, but then neither does paying $162-a-month for the privilege of watching “Project Runway” and reruns of “A Different World” while surfing the internet.

If I were a stronger person I’d go without TV altogether. But I am weak, and I discovered that Netflix has the entire series run of “Felicity” streaming. If they had “Dawson’s Creek” you might never hear from me again. Yeah, I know I have Dawson’s on DVD but that’s just too pre-historic for words. Media on DVD? As if.

The best part of cutting the cable is that I’m starting to get over that whole “needing to own media” hangup that marks me as O to the L to the D. Of course, I should mention, this paradigm shift is only happening where TV/Movies are concerned.

I still can’t get on board with the idea of subscribing to music ala Spotify or Rdio. For some reason I need to have my music even if it is just the bits and bytes of an MP3. Maybe I have no faith in the longevity of music subscription services or maybe I just can’t see paying for access to something that I can just as easily own forever and ever.

However, when it comes to TV and Movies I’m all about paying for access to the stuff. Because while I’d never ever buy “3rd Rock From the Sun” on DVD, being able to watch it on Netflix is the bee’s knees (I have something of a John Lithgow fetish that started when I watched “The World According to Garp” at an age when I should not have been watching it).

Being able to shift the paradigm for TV & Movies probably says more about the importance I place on these media in my life than anything else. When it comes to entertainment my rankings go like this:
Books
Music
TV
Movies

Which is why I’ll probably be the very last person on the planet to switch to eBooks.

So far, cutting the cable rocks the cash bar. I wish I would have made the plunge ages ago, because I can think of about 283,184,951 things I can do with the $1200 a year I won’t be giving to Comcast.

1. Bill Roehl 12.Sep.11 at 7:51 pm

We did it over three years ago. Netflix, Hulu, and streaming sports via pirates has filled in the gaps with OTA TV.

I see no reason to return.

1. Jodi 12.Sep.11 at 7:52 pm

@Bill Roehl, I don’t think I’ll return either. I had a moment of Project Runway “live” withdrawal, but I think I’ll make it through okay.

2. Kyle Hebert 12.Sep.11 at 8:36 pm

Glad to see you cut the cord.

One other thing to consider just in case Netflix’s streaming library doesn’t cover all the bases is an Amazon Prime membership.

$79 bucks a year gets you 2-day shipping all the time at no extra cost as well as access to a constantly-growing library of video.

I will warn you–one book-lover to another–2 day shipping from Amazon can be a dangerous thing.

1. Jodi 12.Sep.11 at 8:38 pm

@Kyle Hebert, I’ve been an Amazon Prime member since 2006! And the 2-day shipping is a dangerous thing of glory. I love it. Amazon was going to be my go-to for Project Runway but they take too long to put up the new episodes.

3. Christa 12.Sep.11 at 8:47 pm

Um, could you please be quiet about this whole no cable thing? My boyfriend reads this website and is no cable curious. I’m just not ready. Most of my vices live in cable.

1. Jodi 12.Sep.11 at 8:49 pm

@Christa, You’d be surprised how many of your cable vices are probably available for free from either Hulu Plus or Netflix, and then there’s odd channels on the ROKU where you can get your Roseanne’s Nuts fix if you have a Roseanne Barr fetish like I do.

Plus. . . FELICITY STREAMING!

4. Christa 12.Sep.11 at 8:53 pm

Okay, I like the Felicity thing.
    But seriously. If you were standing on my doorstep right now speaking the truth about cable, I’d slam the door, turn off the lights and close the drapes. 🙂

1. Jodi 12.Sep.11 at 8:55 pm

@Christa, I kind of wouldn’t blame you. I’m getting totally preachy with the NO CABLE IS THE SAVIOR stuff. It’s all I want to talk about to anyone who will listen. I’ve been trying to con Sister #2 into it and keep telling her “you can always go back if you don’t like it.”

5. Christa 12.Sep.11 at 8:56 pm

More like super convincing. That’s the fear.

1. Barrett Chase 12.Sep.11 at 11:18 pm

@Christa, we have drapes?

6. Natalie L. 12.Sep.11 at 9:13 pm

Two years ago, I would have been right there with you on the e-book issue but…then I got an e-reader. And in the 16 months since I got it, I’ve read more books for fun (as opposed to for review) than I did in probably the five years previous. I buy a LOT more books now, too. But that’s just my experience and certainly isn’t applicable to everyone.

7. todd 13.Sep.11 at 2:00 am

Jodi: Thanks for the inspiration. For awhile I have been considering putting down the proverbial pipe. Now I can. You go, trendsetter!

1. Jodi 13.Sep.11 at 7:16 am

@todd, It was ridiculously easy to set up. I think they make it sound difficult so people won’t make the leap. All it took was the roku box, a wireless connection, and the hdmi cable and I was in business.