Introduction to a unified scene

Urpan Spoon chant

This here is Max & Jaycie sitting with me on the steps of the Basilica. They are chanting “Urban Spoon, Urban Spoon, Urban Spoon” because they are brats who like to drive me crazy. There’s an Urban Spoon iPhone app that helps you choose a place to eat. It’s pretty cool. However, despite what Jaycie & Max think, it is not a game. They like to “play” Urban Spoon. After awhile the slot machine noise started to drive me crazy, so I grabbed Ziggy from their claws and claimed, “enough!” Which was my first mistake.

My second mistake was claiming that you couldn’t actually “play” Urban Spoon. Thus began an argument that continues to this day and involves a lot of chanting.

We were at the Basilica for the Block Party that featured The Hold Steady. It was Max’s first ever concert and I envied him having such a good band for his first concert-going experience. I tried to explain to him how cool it will be some day, twelve years from now, when he’s at a bar with his friends playing what was your first concert. I think the gravity of such an event was lost on him.

Jayice, however, is an experienced concert goer. She attended her first concert at three (The Dixie Chicks) and on Wednesday last week she got to see the Jonas Brothers and have one of those experiences we all dream of.

She and Sister #2 were up in the nosebleeds of Target Center. According to Sister #2, they were one row in front of the wall at the tippy top. About six songs into the concert filled with screaming tweens and their moms, someone approached them. The dude said he was from Burger King and was wondering if they’d like to upgrade their seats. Jaycie and Sister #2 followed the dude down the aisle, back stage, and then took a spot in the second row.

Jaycie was so excited her head fell off, and Sister #2 said she cried a little because she couldn’t imagine Jaycie being happier.

1. Barrett 13.Jul.09 at 12:15 pm

My first concert was Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. I saw the Hold Steady at Pizza Luce in Duluth with like 50 other people before they were huge.

I just wanted to brag.

2. Jodi 13.Jul.09 at 12:19 pm

The whole point of what was your first concert is to brag. It opens the door, and allows you to brag about all concert going experiences.

3. Barrett 13.Jul.09 at 12:19 pm

When I said, “before they were huge” I meant before the Hold Steady was huge. Not the 50 other people. But you knew that.

When I said, “I just wanted to brag,” I meant “I just wanted to compete against little kids,” but you knew that too.

4. Barrett 13.Jul.09 at 12:25 pm

I have a friend who saw the Hold Steady in New York, where Craig Finn said something like, “You think this is a party town? If you want to see a REAL party town you need to go to Duluth, Minnesota.” That was hilarious, though I’m sure the humorous subtleties were lost on most of the crowd.

5. Lori 13.Jul.09 at 6:23 pm

What I love most about this post is that I have a little girl, and her happiness makes me so much happier than my own. I totally get why your sister would cry a little over this.

6. UH 14.Jul.09 at 9:31 pm

My first concert was Rick Springfield, on the Working Class Dog tour. There was an annoying group of girls in front of us who kept standing on their folding chairs and we kept tipping them back down.

Many years later I was telling that story, and my wife’s sister started laughing. Turns out it was her and some of her girlfriends.