Up, romanticizing romance

up_pixar

When I took Jaycie & Max to go see “Up” on Friday afternoon, I didn’t expect to be bawling my head off in the first twenty-minutes of the movie. Hell, I hadn’t even worked all the popcorn husks out of my teeth before I was crying like a baby.

While most of the movie is typical Pixar fare, which is not a slight at all, in fact it’s high praise, the first twenty minutes or is one of the tenderest love stories I’ve ever seen. The beginning of the movie depicts the relationship of main-character Carl, and his deceased wife Ellie. After their initial introduction, the story of their life together is told only through images. It is captivating and beautiful, and will break your heart.

Sometimes I wonder if singletons like me are bigger suckers for romance as depicted in “Up,” a life-long bond that sees the couple through thick and thin until death do they actually part. I tend to think I’m a sucker for that kind of thing because while conceptually I understand relationships take a lot of work, in actual practice I’ve never really done it. I tend to romanticize romance, and “Up” shows it just the way I always imagine it.

I’m surprised by how much I loved “Up.” I was only semi-sold on the whole concept of the story (old curmudgeon and young kid lost in the jungle with talking dogs). But it seems Pixar can do no wrong. The story is solid (if not a wee bit predictable), and the visuals are stunning. It’s just so fantastic seeing a house soaring through the sky, held aloft by a bunch of balloons.

In fact, I loved “Up” so much, it will probably knock “Bugs Life” out of the Top 3 in my list of Pixar movie rankings.

1. bakiwop 07.Jun.09 at 5:41 pm

that’s interesting, i haven’t seen the movie, but i heard some people were vehemently opposed to the relationship between the man and woman – they said the woman wanted to travel and explore and the man would never let her do it and made her do stuff in the house and now she was dead and he was sad.

2. Jodi 07.Jun.09 at 5:44 pm

Wow. Really? I didn’t see it as a case of “let” at all. I think he wanted to go as much as she did. I guess you bring your own prejudices and perspective to things like this.

But I saw it as one of those things they always vowed to do and never got around to doing, because living their lives got in the way.

3. Hipster Mom 07.Jun.09 at 5:57 pm

It was not just the couple that made me cry, but the little boy talking about how he and his dad used to sit on the curb eating ice cream and counting cars. “It’s funny, but it is the boring things I remember most.”

4. shokkou 08.Jun.09 at 8:23 pm

I thought it was a very excellent story about love. Afterwards it occurred to me that maybe the house represented the burden of his memories preventing him from continuing to live, but i’m not sure. I cried three times. Well, four if you count the time i laughed ’til i cried during the sword fight scene. My favorite line “I was hiding under the porch because I love you” The writers know their dogs for sure.

5. NBFB 10.Jun.09 at 11:59 am

Mrs. NBFB cried too. I too was moved, but not to the point of crying. Because I’m a big strong man.

6. iris 25.Jun.09 at 12:55 am

I have just met you and I love you.

Ok, so perhaps “met” isn’t entirely accurate, and “love” is a strong word. But, I thoroughly enjoy the blog, which I just stumbled upon recently, and I’m chiming in here to say that I also loved Up. So much that I watched it two days in a row. And I cried, too.