Suspicions confirmed, Mike Doughty loves me and wants me to be happy

Why yes, I did stay up until midnight so I could purchase Golden Delicious (only $6.99 for the download on Amazon). I guess that’s just what we fan girls do. We make sacrifices for the rockers and the rollers in our lives (even if it is our fantasy lives).

And you can just shove it about the fact that I don’t generally go to bed until 1 a.m. anyway, okay? We’re calling this a sacrifice, because dude I’m really tired. So I’m taking a quick trip through the new album, listening to about 30 seconds of each song to determine the song that will become my new favorite when I hear this:

I wrote a song about your car. I wrote it with your hips in mind. . .

Hello, nurse! It’s a well-known fact that I have a hips fetish, specifically a songs that mention hips fetish (as it stands now the Hipster playlist is up to 40 songs). And, as we all know, bold and fearless young women like me love their cars (or trucks as the case may be).

So what conclusion can we draw from this? Probably nothing. But in our sleep-deprived, hyperunstable state of mind, we’re totally going to believe that Mike Doughty wrote this song so we would be happy because that’s what he wants. And, really, ostensibly, don’t all artists want their art to make someone happy in some way, shape, or form? So it’s not that far afield, or insane. At all.

1. Heather 19.Feb.08 at 2:34 am

Given all your mentions in books and such as of late, I don’t think this is just coincidence. I had the same thoughts you did when you posted those two lines. The Doughty is so speaking to you.

2. Hipster Wana-be Mom 19.Feb.08 at 9:58 am

Did you hear Mr.Doughty on NPR the other day? I thought of emailing you, but then I figured you got the Doughty vibe and turned the radio on.

3. Jodi 19.Feb.08 at 10:54 am

I did! In fact, he’s gonna be on 89.3 The Current sometime soon (like in the next 10 minutes or so).

4. david 19.Feb.08 at 1:28 pm

First Kathleen Turner, and now Mike Doughty is writing about you…

5. will tupper 19.Feb.08 at 9:37 pm

dear ms. jodi a.k.a. superfamouswriterlady,

i just noticed – there is one additional track on the itunes version of the golden delicious! it is a song called “book of love.”

i do not wish to miss out on any level of dought-age goodness. and yet, the idea of saving $3.00 by going through amazon also appeals to me. i am racked with uncertainty, ms. jodi!

what do you think i should do?

humbly yours,

big fan from michi-gan

6. Jodi 19.Feb.08 at 9:40 pm

I went with the $3 savings. Not just because I am losing my job but also because I would bet you dollars to donuts that Book of Love (a Magnetic Fields cover) will be available at a later date for a buck.

7. will tupper 19.Feb.08 at 11:26 pm

live and learn. ms. jodi for the win! 🙂