They forgot more than I’ll ever know

We gathered in Jayto, my boss’ office, to talk about our futures. Maria and I sat on the couch, The Dougs and Jayto near the desk. They immediately started rattling off job web sites, the ladders, indeed, blah de blah blah, execunet, places I have never even heard of.

They threw around the names of recruiters and former VPs and Marketing Directors that they knew and were friends with. The talked about the AMA, the DMA, the MIMA, the PCP, the FUCKED.

Oh wait that was me.

About fifteen minutes into the meeting I looked up at them. I started to laugh and my eyes filled with tears. “Oh my god, you guys. I am going to have to work at a gas station and live in the basement.”
“What do you mean?” my boss asked.
“I don’t even know how to find a real grownup job.”
“That’s why we’re doing this,” The Dougs said. He went on to tell us some somebody he talked to who was quite interested in our office closing and how they were looking for ton of people. “Maybe we can all get jobs together.”
“I sure as hell hope so,” I said. “Because clearly I am going to need to ride your coattails.”

I had no idea getting a job was so much work. I am now more scared then ever. However, I am happy as hell to have all these super smart, connected, knowledgeable people in my boat. If I can’t get a job of some sort with their help, I deserve to spend the rest of my life working at the gas station living in the basement and never getting laid.

1. shokkou 12.Dec.07 at 6:10 am

Oh stop. You’d probably get laid all the time if you worked at a gas station.

2. rgjabs 12.Dec.07 at 8:33 am

I have been in a similar situation (more than once) and eventually what happens is that you all will find jobs and you will have this instant network of people working all over the Twin Cities who will be calling you whenever there is a job opening. Things may look a little uncertain in the short term but in the long run you will be all right and you will never have to look for work again in your life because the work will come looking for you.

3. Lerren 12.Dec.07 at 10:22 am

What rgjabs said. And if you’re REALLY worried and REALLY scared, ask them for some peer recommendations and letters of reference. If nothing else, it will ease your worried mind and do much to reinflate a sagging ego.

4. bakiwop 12.Dec.07 at 12:02 pm

every time you start feeling like shit and start feeling unworthy remember that you have the skills to do the job and the social skills to play well with others. your coworkers have given you the places to look.

you ARE worthy and you DO have the skills (ALL of the skills) to excel. you are ABLE to do it and you WILL do it.

5. Jodi 12.Dec.07 at 12:09 pm

Your all capped words, crack me up Stuart Smalley.

6. Rolpol 12.Dec.07 at 1:27 pm

Gas station work? It beats pickin’ cotton and waiting to be forgotten… G’luck Jodi

7. bakiwop 12.Dec.07 at 1:31 pm

are do all able will, indeed!

8. RJ 14.Dec.07 at 10:50 am

Your best bet is to keep on doing what you’re doing: surround yourself with the best and brightest.