I’m sorry, what was I saying?

The worst part about finding out that I’m losing my job in a few months is that it has caused my ADD to go into hyperdrive. I have to keep apologizing to people while I’m speaking with them because I lose my train of thought mid-sentence. I’m lucky that the only people I’ve spoken with today are other co-workers who are in the same boat. I guess this is one of the side effects of having your mind blown.

It’s been an interesting experience so far. Kind of surreal. People keep asking me if I’m okay. Then the next question they ask is what I’m going to do. Like I fucking know. It’s been just over 24 hours since I found out, and I’m not much of a planner, much less a contingency planner.

Perhaps they’re just trying to make conversation because they don’t know what else to say. Perhaps, I might just shut up and go to bed because this whole ordeal has made me incredibly tired.

1. AC 30.Nov.07 at 9:37 am

One thing you will find out is that other people who have been laid off often find it as a great opportunity to start over.

I’m very glad I got laid off, I started something completely new that really worked out. I know others that had the same experience.

It’s gonna work out.
    AC

2. creamcitian 30.Nov.07 at 1:19 pm

one of the times i got laid off was almost the antithesis of the way you were laid off. the 90% of the company who were laid off were asked to leave by the end of day.

i had been calling my mother to wish her a happy birthday (i’m a good boy) when my boss came to my desk and waited the 30 seconds or so it took for me to get off the phone with my mother.

he asked me in to his office where an hr type was waiting. they gave me the low down for about five minutes and then asked if i was okay because i hadn’t said a word – just what the heck is one supposed to say: “give me my mind numbing job back so i can pay back my student loans?” or “please please please please please please please please” or “thank you, this job kinda sucked”?

anyway, your initial blog reaction is very healthy – this is life in corporate america. there’ll be happiness and sadness and all the other positive and negative feelings, but you didn’t go into the office with a shotgun today – good for you!

3. Jodi 30.Nov.07 at 1:26 pm

I actually didn’t go into the office at all today, because I have Fridays off for the rest of the year. While this is my first experience being actually being let go as part of a layoff, this isn’t my first experiecnce with them. in fact, I just made the cut the three other times it’s happened with this company.

Most of them have been of the “hey, sorry, here’s your box you’re done today” variety. Somehow, I got lucky. Which is weird. The whole experience is kind of weird. I have a job, but not really.

Bizarre. I’m like a lame duck president.

4. creamcitian 30.Nov.07 at 1:44 pm

I actually didn’t go into the office at all today, because I have Fridays off for the rest of the year. “

ok then, step one is to not go into the office on Monday with a shotgun.

besides that, just continuing to breathe is a good step in the right direction. you’ll sort the rest out and find your own slice of fried gold. until then we are here to amuse.

5. Kevin 01.Dec.07 at 6:36 am

If I can help, let me know. I don’t think AOL has any offices up there in the “tundra”, but we’ve got them pretty much anywhere else.

6. david 02.Dec.07 at 12:57 pm

If I can help in any way at all, please let me know, Jodi.

7. Jodi 02.Dec.07 at 2:20 pm

Thank you, thank you all. Your kind thoughts have made this all the slightest bit more bearable.