look into your glovebox heart

last night the TTHM was poo-pooing all over my absolute love and devotion for st. paul westerberg– as if there was something wrong with it. so, you know, i had to make of list of other musical men that i adore almost as much as (but not quite) paul westerberg:
elvis costello
ryan adams
rufus wainwright
mike doughty
tom waits
dicky barrett
jeff tweedy
bob dylan
bob mould
elliott smith
mason jennings
michael stipe
paul simon
conor oberst

sure i spooj on endlessly about westerberg, but that’s only because he’s at the tippy-tip-tip top of the list. but you know, i love other men too. and that list there, that’s a lot of diversity, isn’t it?

1. heather 11.Mar.04 at 10:55 am

i don’t know most of those people.

2. wendy 11.Mar.04 at 10:55 am

sad. out of all those people, aside from st. paul and bob dylan, i think i can only list one song by any of those men.

3. Tam 11.Mar.04 at 11:17 am

Barrett, Stipe, Simon, Doughty, Costello, Mould and Dylan all make my list – although not in that order. I’d add Adam Duritz, Tom Lehrer and Daryl Hall. I’m sure there are others but that’s all I can think of at the moment.

4. UH 11.Mar.04 at 11:38 am

Michael Stipe?

Michael Frickin’ Stipe?

*grumble*

5. Natalie 11.Mar.04 at 11:48 am

Michael Stipe is a complete and total freak who has only gotten weirder over the years. And this is coming from someone who *loves* R.E.M.

I still maintain that you’d really like John Wesley Harding. He’s smart, funny, personable, and really attractive–and his music is, of course, wonderful.

6. jodi 11.Mar.04 at 11:52 am

what’s wrong with michael stipe? the man can write a song. i also forget to add rod stewart.

7. Dana 11.Mar.04 at 12:54 pm

If I could just somehow convince you to listen to Kevin Gilbert. He makes everyone’s list once they hear him.

8. Dannycia 11.Mar.04 at 9:10 pm

I love everyone on your list!

Except for Costello, who strikes me as the kind of guy who looks around the roon to see who’s laughing whenever he quips a joke. I know you love Elvis… sorry!

Curious that Ray Davies, Robert Pollard, or Evan Dando aren’t on there somewhere!

9. dweebie 13.Mar.04 at 6:40 pm

my list includes costello, dylan, stipe and simon.
    I’d add Garcia & Weir, Hendrix, Clapton, Bono, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Cockburn, John Martyn, James Taylor, Neil Young, Seal, Van Morrison & Pat Methany…ooh and don’t forget Peter Gabriel–major spooj, and Don Henley, Lyle Lovett and Bruce Hornsby, and Chris Isaak, they all make me spooj too.