shattered

the posted the new job. it reads like my job description. my co-workers all think i’m leaving since my job is now an open position. i have to blink back tears because i feel so betrayed. they have finally managed to suck the life right out of me.

1. Tam 24.Oct.03 at 1:44 pm

The optimist in me says: “You’re getting promoted and they’re looking for your new underling.”

The realist in me says: “Someone pulled the wrong job description or they have no idea what they’re looking for.”

The paranoid conspiracy theorist in me says: “Keep an eye out for the pink slip.”

Giving you some great big hugs and the nerve to find someone in the know and ask them just what exactly is going on…

2. keith 24.Oct.03 at 2:30 pm

i can understand the unfolding drama of your employment situation, but please don’t fall into the trap of confusing your life with your job. in the greater scheme of things, one is important, one is not. i would venture to guess that everyone who knows you, from “darlingones” to friends and family, would not even think of your job if they were asked to define you.

3. jodi 24.Oct.03 at 2:36 pm

good point. but somehow, i still feel all crushed and used and poorly treated.

will be my sugar daddy?

4. keith 24.Oct.03 at 2:40 pm

i would feel the same way. i just sound all lofty and full of myself.

now, which word is missing from your sentence?
    (who) will be my sugar daddy?
    will (you) be my sugar daddy?

it’s one of those typos that just changes the whole world.

5. jodi 24.Oct.03 at 2:42 pm

sheesh. no wonder they don’t want me for the senior copywriter.

i’ll let you choose.

6. keith 24.Oct.03 at 2:57 pm

i think “who will be my sugar daddy?” will leave all of your readers in a much greater state of literary wonder. they will return each day, their interest renewed, their curiousity tweaked.

perhaps even a few will wonder: “am i a sugar daddy?”

7. jodi 24.Oct.03 at 3:02 pm

oh, the lucky sugar daddy will know they are the sugar daddy. i’ll make sure of that.

8. Thomas 24.Oct.03 at 3:22 pm

Now is the time of convergence in your life.

You have the new job. (Of this I am sure)

You have the interest of the the crush. (Of this, everyone (except for you) is sure)

You have loyal friends on both sides of the computer screen.

To paraphrase Willy Wonka, do you know what happened to the girl who got everything? She lived happily ever after.

Thank the boss for promoting you, call beautiful robert and invite him over to talk about music and see the rest of your tattoos, and by all means don’t do it shyly or without hesitation. Now is your time!

9. Karen 24.Oct.03 at 11:01 pm

Now would be a good time to go to your bossboss and ask what it is, if anything, you need to do to ensure you have all chances of filling the role. If they have any hesitations about promoting you now is the time to find out what they are so you can address them.

You’ll obviously (rightly so) be sick with disappointment if you don’t get the role so I’d do everything I could to make sure it was yours 🙂