i won’t break

i’m raging at the moment. yesterday at work i sent a nice long explanatory e-mail about my grammu’s death and the status of all the projects i’m working on that will have to be put on hold.

i’ve gotten quite a few nice e-mails from some co-workers, the kind that make me want to cry. but i haven’t heard jack from my fucking boss. nothing. no response at all.

i am furious. furious.

the least he could fucking do is say, “it’s ok, take some time off, sorry, blah,” fucking anything. anything would be better than nothing.

1. joey 15.Sep.03 at 11:53 am

ok, seeing this from a boss’s point of view
    (since i’m a boss i have that perogative)us bosses cannot get touchy feely about such things. we need to stay seperated from the masses and this is one way to accomplish this. your boss’ complete silence on this issue is his way of expressing his condolences. this is the exact way i would handle it, it is text book.
    with this point stated you have my silence.
    joey

2. ketut keith 15.Sep.03 at 2:05 pm

And to add my 2 cents.

some bosses don’t even read their own emails. I know plenty who have someone else read the emails and put them in order of (perceived) priority to the bosses attention. It is why our old boss was always three weeks behind on his correspondences.

3. Jeff 15.Sep.03 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, see? What Joey said…
    That’s what I was trying to tell you.

4. Calli 16.Sep.03 at 12:08 am

What crap! There’s nothing touchy feely about offering condolences and saying a simple “sorry for your loss.”

When I lost my grandmother and my aunt, my boss was kind enough to say ‘sorry’ and ask if I was doing ok.

Since when does ‘boss’ mean ‘lack of humanity’? Ugh! I’d be upset, too, Jodi!

5. dweebie 16.Sep.03 at 11:26 am

When my mom died my boss didn’t respond at all, and left for a planned vacation with his wife to Hawaii. During a let it all out anger fest a few years later, I let him know what a jerk I thought he was for that. Then a few more years later when my dad died, he (my boss) was there at the service and even drove to the cemetary for the internment. Sometimes you have to let people know what you need, maybe you can do it with finesse, instead of the anger fest though, that’s what I hope I’m learning. Your pain is deep, many of us are intensely sorry for that, use the support your friends are sending, you’ve got a lot of them on this site. 🙂

6. Scant436 16.Sep.03 at 7:19 pm

All I can say is mean people suck.

7. wendy 17.Sep.03 at 1:13 pm

When my grandma died in May, my boss wouldn’t stop bothering me until I told him where her services were going to be held, so he could send flowers. He told me to take as much time as I needed, and we’d worry about figuring out my pay when I got back.

Bosses that show compassion have better employees. Just my opinion.