the ugly bee incident

Ok, remember that weed-wacker sounding bug that woke me up at 6:30 this morning? Well after showering, I was toweling off I my bedroom when I heard the buzz again. Instead of running screaming from the room, I decided to investigate.

Big mistake.

The weed-wacker bug was a GIANT, fuzzy bumble bee about the size of my thumb (and I have big thumbs!). its at that point that I ran screaming from the room.

Remember how I had just gotten out of the shower? So I was wet and naked and afraid. It was a terrifying morning. Since I am such a big, fat chicken I would run into the room, grab a few articles of clothing and put them on in the hallway. Run back in, grab a few more and put them on the hallway. At one point I decided this was ridiculous, that I wasnt gonna let some bug dictate my life.

Since I didnt have any bug spray, I grabbed what I thought would be the most poisonous stuff in my apartment. . . scrubbing bubbles bathtub cleaner. yes, foaming bathtub cleaner would surely kill a GIANT bumble bee would it not?

So I creep into the bedroom, half-dressed, shaking a can of scrubbing bubbles. The bee is buzzing like a weed-wacker and I can tell its pissed. Its stuck between the window and the curtain, trying to get out. It doesnt help matters that paco keeps batting at it.

I reach out the grab the curtain, aiming my can of scrubbing bubbles at that bad boy and he flys out towards me. I drop the can and run, batting at my ears and brushing at my hair.

At this point I am pretty sure the bug is stuck in my hair and that I am going to almost die again. But that was just my paranoia. The bee flew back into the window/curtain area.

So yeah, I am a fraidy cat. Ive decided that if the cats havent killed the bee or it hasnt managed to escape by the time I get home that I will have to move.

1. andrea 30.May.01 at 11:42 am

silly jodi, a bumblebee won’t sting you! But I’d be scared too if I had an anaphylactic reaction.

(hee hee, yay for Word spell checker!)

2. scooterboy 30.May.01 at 11:51 am

bumblebees dont sting, but they BITE and they are vicious and mean. i once disturbed one in my shed and it latched itself onto my neck and bit me four times before i could wrench it loose and dash it to the ground… and jodi, when i was writing my BW journal about insects you said you didnt really care about them… lies! lies and propaganda!

3. andrea 30.May.01 at 12:41 pm

oh! I’ll never look at the cute little bumblebees the same way again!

4. jodi 30.May.01 at 1:06 pm

i don’t mind insects, but bees i am allergic too. i almost died!!

5. mickmars 30.May.01 at 1:55 pm

you are such a baby.

just be glad you didn’t have two 12lb pigeons in your house. that would have freaked your shit right out.

6. scooterboy 30.May.01 at 3:20 pm

or rabid squirrels! talk about trauma! i had to chase that bastard around my apartment with a broom before his diseased, flea-ridden ass gnawed out my throat!

7. Tyson 30.May.01 at 4:13 pm

Science lesson on bumblebees folks. The males can’t sting, the females can, but the males are aggressive and the females aren’t. Got it?

jodi why didn’t you just open a window so it could get out? You’re lucky not to have housemates. Mine both went and say the Dahli Lama speak a couple of weeks ago and now they won’t let me kill anything because Tibetans revere all life or some such crap. Yes this includes big ugly spiders I find creeping around my bed. They’ve put a permanent guilt trip on me.

8. mickmars 30.May.01 at 4:22 pm

i bet a damn buddhist would shoot a 12lb pigeon right in the damn beak, if it were in their house, and flew at them, and freaked them out.

buddhists have houses, right?

9. jodi 30.May.01 at 4:24 pm

clearly, you don’t have never encountered a weed-wacker sounding bumble bee. i’d liek to see how composed you are when you are rudely awakened by that.

10. Tyson 30.May.01 at 4:45 pm

Are you kidding? My parents’ house in Georgia was so infested with bumblebees and wasps (big red ones) all summer long that I don’t even notice them anymore. You northerners are just pansy asses. 😛

11. andrea 30.May.01 at 5:03 pm

oh, guilt trip from me too. I don’t kill bugs either. Except maybe mosquitos, but that doesn’t count because it’s an unconscious reaction when they bite me.

I lived in an apartment a few years ago that was infested with big nasty wasps… and I am more scared of them now than I used to be.

12. jodi 30.May.01 at 5:13 pm

is that it? you want me to die? i ALMOST DIED the last time i was stung by a bee.

13. Tyson 30.May.01 at 6:17 pm

The doctor said you didn’t almost die. I’ve had mild anaphylactic (thanks andrea’s spell checker) shock before too. It was on my archeology field school. We disturbed a yellow jackets nest in the woods and I was stung several times. It wasn’t pleasant. My point to miss thang is that bees and wasps are not beligerant (somebody spell check that) creatures that are going to attack you for the hell of it. My dad is one of those that could die from a hornet sting yet he doesn’t flinch when one does a fly by of his head. And he hasn’t been stung in eons. Because the little buggies aren’t mean! :stepsoffsoapbox:

14. jodi 30.May.01 at 6:27 pm

what in the hell do doctors know? i am almost died!!

15. Skattie 30.May.01 at 8:55 pm

Au contraire. Anaphylactic shock CAN kill. Trust me, as someone allergic to some ridiculous stuff, I’ve had near-fatal reactions before, and not to anything like a noisy bee…

But this entry still made me chuckle. Sorry, Jodi, but it was the most amusing thing that came to me today, near tragedy or not.

16. barbara 04.Apr.03 at 10:23 am

hi im barbara just wont to say some one in my family it was my sister in law her little boy was around 2 years old he got stung by a bumble bee he stayed in the hospital for a month they said it was nothing they could for him he allmost died then finaly he came to one day around 6 weeks they all most lost him its a mirlcehe made it out of that sting from that dam old bumble bee i hate bumble bees thinks from barbara in tn. i would like to know how to kill them bees.

17. Casey 17.Oct.03 at 10:37 pm

Shakespeasr once wrote: “First, we KILL ALL the bee’s”, and, “The only good Bee, is a Dead Bee”

18. Adam 27.Jul.04 at 4:57 am

DIE BITCH NEVER KILL BUGS!