Enough with Susan Boyle you awful, judgmental pricks

I’m sure by now you’ve seen the video of Susan Boyle singing some song from Les Miserables on Britain’s Got Talent. If you haven’t wait about 4 minutes someone will forward it to you, link to it, tweet about it, or post it on their Facebook profile. The video is unavoidable and every time I see it my eyes nearly burst from my skull in a fit of rage.

What is it that makes this video so remarkable? Is it that Boyle sings the song beautifully? Sure. But that’s not it at all, it’s that Boyle who could be described as less than physically beautiful sings the song so beautifully.

Apparently, we’ve reached a point in our evolution where we are so stunned by the fact that someone deemed unattractive can create something of beauty that we must ogle it and point and utter words like stunning, amazing, unbelievable, and moving.

Really. I’m not kidding.

I’m so ashamed for us, the human race, right now. The fact that we are even the least bit surprised that someone who doesn’t look like Beyonce or Gwen Stefani can sing is fucking ridiculous (remember this debate?).

1. Sarah 16.Apr.09 at 8:06 pm

And, it only went on…”never been kissed.” I don’t get it, either. It’s almost as if not looking like some entertainment weekly star eliminates you from having singing talent. This goes along with my diatribes about sexism in age differences in relationship and racism in missing persons. I probably will never get it.

2. Dan 16.Apr.09 at 9:59 pm

I agree with you Jodi, but there is some gray area here (go figure).

That performance was akin to a job interview. Would you show up at a interview not turned out properly? Wearing Toughskins and a flannel shirt? In fact, I would bet that the producers of the show were implicit in promulgating the look she had for the “shock value.” Possibly, it may have been her idea.

Regardless, it was a fine effort.

3. Jennifer 17.Apr.09 at 10:00 am

I also agree with you; but did not have as much difficulty with the video. I have a problem with Simon. He is smug and offensive. I liked the look on his face when he realized his preconceptions were so wrong. If only that would change how he acted in the future. What a jerk.

4. Jags 17.Apr.09 at 10:48 am

I disagree. I think the reason that her performance has become such a phenomenon is not that people are astonished such a lovely voice can come out of a frumpy look. I think it’s that she represents to a lot of us that even if we don’t have the looks, don’t have a job, are in middle age and “past the point of believing in crazy dreams,”–basically at a point in life where we acknowledge the unlikelihood of greatness–that there is still a chance to achieve something wonderful. I don’t think it’s astonishment that musical talent could come out of a mediocre-looking woman. I believe it’s happiness to be reminded that there is beauty and potential everywhere.

5. FFJ 17.Apr.09 at 1:12 pm

I haven’t seen the video but it was sent to me, twice. The only thing I’m going to say is that I love it when you rant.

6. david 17.Apr.09 at 7:30 pm

I think people can be split into three camps, both Jodi’s and Jags’, plus another that follows any internet meme that comes along (that includes subsets of both the others).

7. via 17.Apr.09 at 7:50 pm

I don’t think we think the song is sung more prolific because it was sung by someone less attractive than your normal pop star but rather it was captured on a show that placates to only to the young and hot singers and it was a slap in Simon’s face.
    I don’t think anyone thinks Pavarotti was a hottie but you can’t deny the power of his voice

8. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah 20.Apr.09 at 9:37 am

I could not agree with you more.

What is the big deal? This lady is a good singer.

Lots of people are good singers. Lots of people don’t look like Beyonce.

It as if the internet has run out of other things to talk about. Maybe we should just all take a break.