As slow as a 1999 modem

Oh God. I came home today and because I can’t do anything but be lethargic, I picked up the book closest to the comfy green chair and started reading it. It was Douglas Coupland’s The Gum Thief. Thank the Lord for sending out The Gum Thief to me. I’m only twenty-one pages into the book (come on, I didn’t get home until five) and I’ve already laughed right out loud twice. TWICE! That’s pretty damn good, considering I spent a lot of time reading horrible student short fiction last night and didn’t laugh once — which wouldn’t be odd but for one of the titles having the words ‘a comic look’ at something or other in the title. Perhaps the author is being ironic because there wasn’t any funny that I could find in there. Also, maybe I am being harsh because my stories are often hella funny, or at least that’s what people tell me.

Good God, do you see all those words? I spent roughly seven and a half hours today staring at a computer screen trying to write about things and such and got no where. And here I am forty-five minutes outside of work rambling like a jackass because a book made me laugh.

Sure, sure I am super biased when it comes to Douglas “The Hugger” Coupland, but how wrong can a novel about two people who work at Staples (one a girl who wears black lipstick and the other a wannabe novelist) get?

1. shokkou 08.Oct.07 at 6:48 pm

I luv Coupland’s work too. Tom Robbins is another writer that never fails to get me laughing out loud. The Gum Thief is kinda new? The last Coupland i read was Hey Nostradamus. Eleanor Rigby is in the pile of “still waiting to be read” books.

2. Jodi 08.Oct.07 at 7:13 pm

You’re behind! He’s released both Eleanor Rigby and Jpod since Nostradamus.

I’ve only managed to read one Robbins (Still Life with Woodpecker). I tried Even Cowgirls Get the Blues but only made it halfway through before abandoning it.

3. christa 08.Oct.07 at 7:46 pm

i just noticed gum thief yesterday at the bookstore, but decided if i was going to give coupland another shot i’d try something in softcover. [i think i soured after girlfriend in a coma] i’m about a quarter of the way into nostradamus and he is better than i remember. i’ve decided to double back and read everything. good to know i can look forward to the gum one.

4. shokkou 08.Oct.07 at 7:48 pm

Way behind in more ways then you can possibly know. Maybe you’d like Jitterbug Perfume or Another Roadside Attraction better. Or not. He makes me laughlikehell(tm) though.

5. Jodi 08.Oct.07 at 7:50 pm

Oh Christa! Girlfriend in a Coma is my favorite Coupland. I’d avoid All Families are Psychotic and Miss Wyoming. The rest is pretty solid. Microserfs is great to read just because it’s so dated and the characters crack jokes about how that ‘Information Superhighway’ will never take off and Jpod is absurdist comedy at it’s finest.

6. Lerren 09.Oct.07 at 10:04 am

Microserfs and eleanor rigby are close ties for me – if you have not seen Everything Gone Green, GO NOW. Similarly, souvenir of canada (the documentary).

(ps: I had my own Coupland Close Encounter last monday. God, he’s nice.)

7. Jodi 09.Oct.07 at 10:16 am

What is Everything Gone Green? Also where was the CCE? Did he do a reading from Gum Thief?

8. david 09.Oct.07 at 10:55 am

Coupland novels are big hits or misses with me. I was disappointed with Jpod, but am hoping Gum Thief is a return to form.

9. Jodi 09.Oct.07 at 10:57 am

I acutally liked Jpod quite a bit more then I liked Eleanor Rigby (the ending was just too pat and coincidental for me).

10. Lerren 09.Oct.07 at 12:24 pm

*cough*… you’ve never heard of everything gone green?…. yeah, that kinda figures. stupid canadian cinema. It’s a full length feature film written by coupland. linky linky – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461946/

Souvenir of canada, which might make the Canuckistans in your office giggle, is here – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439820/

It was at the University of Toronto and yes he did – either nearly all or all of “glove pond”, (the novel-in-a-novel from gum thief), and talked about Jpod the Tv Show (airs on CBC starting January).

By the way – i’m actually writing this from the Bombshelter at the University of Waterloo.