The first 10 videos to air on MTV when it debuted 25 years ago on August 1, 1981

MTV hit the air on August 1, 1981. By now Mark, Nina, Martha, JJ, and Alan have all become answered to Trivial Pursuit questions, and everyone knows that the first video was VIdeo Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. But was was #2? #3? Tonight VH1 aired the first hour of of MTV’s existence (sans commercials). Because I know most everyone has better things to do on a Friday night, I took the liberty of getting the first ten videos for you.

•Video Killed the Radio Star, The Buggles

•You Better Run, Pat Benetar

•She Won’t Dance with Me, Rod Stewart

•You Better You Bet, The Who
(I couldn’t find this on You Tube)

•Little Susie’s on the Up, Ph.D

•We Don’t Talk Anymore, Cliff Richard (I found this video most disturbing for two reasons. 1. Cliff and I have the same exact hairstyle, except my bangs are longer. 2. I knew all the words to this song)

•Brass in Pocket, The Pretenders

•Time Heals, Todd Rundgren
(I couldn’t find this one either)

•Take it on the Run, REO Speedwagon

• Rockin’ the Paradise, Styx

1. UH 28.Jul.06 at 9:14 pm

I watched that the other night (maybe it was a preview, but it had all the videos) and I was totally caught unawares by “Little Susie’s On The Up”, since I only knew that as Tesla’s “Little Suzi”.

2. Calli 30.Jul.06 at 5:22 am

I was completely caught off guard by the “Little Susie” one too. I’m so glad the Tesla version is the one I know best.

Re: Cliff Richard, if it makes you feel any better, Jodi, I know all the words too.

Thanks for the blasts from the past. Wow, I can’t believe I was only 11 when MTV debuted… or how very long ago that was.

3. Nee 30.Jul.06 at 11:36 am

omg how did I miss that? I didn’t get mtv until the summer of ’83. Until then I was pleading every weekend to spend the night at friends’ houses and we’d watch late into the night.

4. jodi 30.Jul.06 at 9:54 pm

Well, I think VH1 Classics is going to re-run the MTV’s entire first day on August 1.

5. Jim 02.Aug.06 at 7:02 am

I too was pleasantly surprised by the Ph.D tune revmaped by Tesla. Does anyone have any info on Ph.D or Jim Diamond music availability? Is the Ph.d and April Wine videos available for download?

6. Shirley 02.Aug.06 at 3:19 pm

Jim has continued to release excellent albums through the ’80’s to now, but they are hard to find outside of the U.K. The best way to find them is through Amazon.co.uk and Ebay.co.uk
    where you can also get his wonderful album of solo greatest hits!

Ph.D’s first album(which has “Little Susie’s On The Up”)is especially hard to find now. You will probably have to find it through a U.K. rare LPs store.
    It is one of my favourite Pop records from the ’80’s!

Jim Diamond is a Scottish singer, who started singing Blues and Soul way back in the ’60’s and later worked with the legendary Alexis Korner. By the ’70’s he was doing Punk then by the early ’80’s won reknown as a first class Pop singer. He is famed for his passionate, emotional performances.

7. Michelle 05.Aug.06 at 8:56 am

Thanks God for Dauran Duran!

Most of these videos suck way more than I remembered!

Michelle