sometimes you cannot deny the existence of five

five years ago tonight, iwilldare.com blinked into existence. oddly enough, the first post quotes a replacements’ lyric. or at least i always identify it as a replacements’ lyric. i started iwilldare.com because my friend orangetim, whom i ‘met’ through a soul coughing newsgroup, told me it was cool. sadly, i think tim has given up the blog ghost, or i’d link to him. the idea for a web site actually started months before that first post. i think i spent three weeks trying to come up with just the right domain name, running each one past orange tim.

“no,” he said. “you’ll know it as soon as it hits you.”

a few days later, i e-mailed him.

“it’s iwilldare.com.”
“you’re right,” he wrote back. “it is.”

that was five years ago. five years ago i was working a customer service job and could barely afford my rent. five years ago i was driving a 1989 chrysler new yorker that ran when it felt like it. i was only 28. it seemed much older then than it does now.

i feel as though i should say something profound or reflect back on all the goodness that iwilldare.com has brought into my life. but that would take entirely more energy than i have at the moment. because, when you have to look back at goodness, you have to filter through the badness, and there is a lot of badness in all those damn archives.

five years is a long damn time. mostly i’m amazed that i’ve stuck with it for so long. i’m not known for my follow-through and stick-with-itness. but here i am, five years later.

here i am. what the hell do i do now?

1. ngruk 01.Aug.05 at 12:36 am

The existence of five! Five is a magic number, ya know. Want proof? How many toes do you have on each foot? How many points in a star? What number am I thinking about right now??? See!

I hate to do this to you, but the launch at the end of July 2000 coincides eerily with the quiet that fell upon that soul coughing group.

Oh, and I believe the proper term, as per Webster’s Dictionary, is “stick-to-it-iveness.”

2. Jena 01.Aug.05 at 1:06 am

You just keep doing what you have been doing darling. Look how long you have kept me around! (two..three years now?) ♥

3. heather 01.Aug.05 at 7:02 am

happy anniversary! *smooch*

4. Thomas 01.Aug.05 at 8:49 am

You keep on being Jodi: That’s why people come.

You’re doing well, kid.

5. zook 01.Aug.05 at 9:27 am

Congrats on your 1825th day in existence. I haven’t been around for very long but iwilldare.com is one of the first things I go to each morning and I can’t imagine it not around. Thanks for sharing and making me laugh!

6. dietcokegurl 01.Aug.05 at 10:40 am

Hmm..weird, my comment didn’t show before. Oh well. Happy anniversary, man! Here’s to your non-number more!!

7. Damon 01.Aug.05 at 11:29 am

Congratulations!

July 2000 was such a magical time…pets.com and that damn puppet still had venture capital money left around, Napster was still full steam ahead and people were still thinking that the dot-com bubble was just a minor correction in the market.

In the midst of all this, iwilldare.com came online, showing the hopeless masses the way forward.

8. kara 01.Aug.05 at 6:45 pm

happy blogiversary, jodi! 🙂

9. Tam 01.Aug.05 at 7:05 pm

Congrats!

10. Wendy 01.Aug.05 at 10:08 pm

I wish I could say I’d been around for all 5 years, but I’m sure I would remember a bitchin’ car like the New Yorker!

We should go out to celebrate your anniversary or something.

11. jodi 01.Aug.05 at 10:12 pm

we should go out. what’re you doing this week?

12. dulaynee 01.Aug.05 at 10:37 pm

congrats on the five years! i admit, i read everyday, but haven’t said hi in quite a while!

so, HI! and Congrats!

13. Wendy 01.Aug.05 at 11:38 pm

i don’t think i’m doing jack shit this week actually. i gotta check my work calendar, though, to be sure!