And its TV set glowing blue in the fallen dusk

I’ve been a giant ball of anxiety lately. Anxiety is not my friend, it makes my mind spin out of control never landing for more than a minute on one specific thought or idea. In fact, when I’m overridden with anxiety about the only things I can do is watch TV and play Bejeweled. Productive? No. Effective? Yes.

The anxiety has stemmed from unbloggable work/finance worries and a health scare concerning my mom. The work/finance worries are mostly unfounded, or too soon to worry about, really. The health scare is a very real thing we may have to deal with. Mom goes in for more tests on Wednesday. We’ll know more then. I think. Until then I tell myself that I cannot panic because I don’t know what I’m panicking about.

It seems this minor storm of inner-turmoil has me longing longing longing for the olden days. I’ve watched two River Phoenix movies in the past week (Dogfight and Stand By Me, which has caused me to think that River might have been my first non-Fonzie related moviestar crush. I loved C. Thomas Howell and Matt Dillon, but that was mostly because of The Outsiders and they were Fonziesque. I really loved Fonzie). Those old movies are comforting somehow, reminding me of a time when I didn’t have to worry about mortgages or parental lifespans.

So you can imagine my utter surprise and delight, while trolling through the channels this evening looking for something suitably numbing, in discovering that Discovery Kids has transformed into something called The Hub, or as I would call it, fucking awesome.

My remote couldn’t move fast enough to tune into an episode of Family Ties followed by The Wonder Years and then a serving of Doogie Howser, M.D. like a cherry on top of a 1987 sundae. I love when the universe hands you exactly what you needed exactly when you need it.

Also, I might not ever watch a modern TV show again.

1. Dave 11.Oct.10 at 10:42 pm

Sometimes you just have to retreat to a safe place. I’m particularly fond of Leave It To Beaver. Stay there as long as you need to but remember that anxiety is a brain trick that can be overcome.

Hoping for the best for your mom.

2. Wolfdogg 12.Oct.10 at 6:43 am

This Hub looks to be evil. It’s owned by Hasbro, and it’s try to suck us in so we buy their flammable, toxic toys.

But it does have Transformers and GI Joe. And the original Batman show. And Laverne & Shirley and Happy Days. And Fraggle Rock.

Ok, it’s awesome.

3. Kevin Fenton 12.Oct.10 at 9:03 pm

Here’s hoping that your work/finance issues get resolved and your mom’s health news improves. After I read your post this morning, I played the Doogie Howser intro and I can see the appeal. And now that i hear that they have the original Batman, I definitely am going to have to find the Hub.

4. Jodi 12.Oct.10 at 11:07 pm

Thank you.

The finance/work issue will work itself out. It’s just that I had the opportunity to go work for a really awesome company doing pretty cool stuff, and I said no. Saying no, means I’ll probably lose a good chunk of my income, but I couldn’t force myself to back into a cube. I like the freelance lifestyle. Am I insane, probably.

Also, the original Batman is fucking awesome. I’ve only seen two episodes thus far (though I do remember watching it as a kid) and the dialog is to die for. I wish I could write for that show.

5. Dave 13.Oct.10 at 12:15 am

I saw the job posting and wondered about it. Sounds like you you made the sane, however anxiety producing, choice.

6. Jodi 13.Oct.10 at 8:08 am

We all know you envy my endearing, childlike impulses, hotrod.