Buffy’s Creek or I watched 112 hours of TV in just over two months

I had a lot of goals for 2012. Some I achieved (buy a new couch, stay out of a cube) and some I did not achieve (finish writing a book, read 52 books*). Of all the goals I set, watching the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer feels like the biggest achievement. It was a lot of work and at times I wanted to give up (season two anyone?), but I persevered and despite my loathing of vampires I came to love the series.

It’s really good — funny, moving, and not so much with the eye-roll inducing, which is nice. Plus, it has Anya who is one of the best tv characters of all time. I loved her so much I kind of want to be a vengeance demon when I grow up. Also, Willow.

While Buffy is no Dawson’s Creek, I am happy to report it was the next best thing. Why? Because there was so much Dawson’s Creek crossover, and I’m not just talking about Xander & Pacey’s penchant for wearing awful shirts and being the doofy, humorous sidekicks.

No, I’m talking about all the bit part players who showed up on both Buffy & Dawson’s. The two shows overlapped for most of their TV runs (Buffy was on a year before Dawson’s started) so it makes perfect sense for them to share the same pool of actors.

To wit, here were the crossovers that I noticed:

1. Harmony who starts off as Cordelia’s sidekick but then gets a much larger role in the college years as a vamp, is the wife of the dude who died after robbing Joey Potter at gun point
  2. The girl Dawson took to the carnival when Jen was dating Noel from Felicity was random werewolf bait in the werewolf episode of Buffy.
  3. When Sunnyvale is haunted by the ghost of the kid who had an affair with and then shot his teacher, the teacher is the movie critic Dawson has sex with when Joey’s studying for finals.
  4. Buffy’s old BFF Ford, who wanted to be a vampire because he was dying of something, was also Abby Morgan’s sidekick.
  5. Kendra the Vampire Slayer is also Principal Green’s daughter (the movie maker who would have been a love interest for Dawson had Principal Green not gotten run out of Capeside on a rail).
  6. Jen’s New York boyfriend is possessed by a hyena in Buffy.
  7. Parker, Buffy’s one-night stand she mopes about forever, was also Ethan, Jack’s first sort-of boyfriend.
  8. Jen’s psychiatrist was one of Giles’ watcher buddies in the last season.

I’m sure there are more. Those are the ones I caught.
Slippers
Also, I would like to add so I don’t feel like a total couch potato, while I was watching that 112 hours of TV I managed to make six stuffed animals, three pairs of slippers, six mittens, and one scarf. So there was a bit if productivity going on.

*Finally, I missed my reading goal not only because I watched 112 hours of TV, but also because I started and read 100 pages in roughly ten different books that I abandoned. That should count for something. Also, I read The Fault in Our Stars two or three times.

1. Christa 31.Dec.12 at 12:33 pm

See, now, Season 2 is one of my favorite seasons.

1. Jodi 31.Dec.12 at 12:36 pm

Really? I’m not a fan of Bummer Buffy (which she is so often). I like the college years much, much better. And I think Season 6 is my favorite because there is so much Willow. Also, singing Anya.

2. Christa 31.Dec.12 at 12:47 pm

I think it was the first season that I watched almost completely from start to finish and it just zapped my soul. I ended up liking the Spike years a lot.

1. Jodi 31.Dec.12 at 12:50 pm

I would pick Spike over Angel any day of the damn week. Speaking of which, is the Angel series worth checking out?

Also, I can relate. I think Season 3 of Dawson’s is my favorite because it was the first one I watched (though not from the beginning, the first ep I ever saw was the one where Pacey kissed Joey).

3. Christa 31.Dec.12 at 12:58 pm

The Angel series is awful. I think I watched two seasons just hoping for appearances from Buffy, but it just became not worth it.

1. Jodi 31.Dec.12 at 1:00 pm

That’s a relief. I was a little annoyed by the mentions in Buffy of the crossover episodes on Angel, but not enough to have to watch it.

4. Steve 31.Dec.12 at 1:52 pm

There are a handful of good Angel eps.

Also she was an ANGEL victim, not werewolf bait. Oz didn’t kill anyone that ep, thankyouverymuch.

1. Jodi 31.Dec.12 at 2:01 pm

I had a slash there originally. Angel/werewolf bait, but then convinced myself it was the werewolf.

5. Matthew Baiocchi 31.Dec.12 at 2:18 pm

I’m (borderline) thinking you should count those 10 books you abandoned – you put in the time and effort and read as much of the book as you wanted to (just like with books you finish).

Also, I would count rereading books as read books each time you read them. You’re reading a book, ya dig?

Unless there’s some moral book reading code stating thou shalt finish a book in toto (including colophon, table of contents, dedication, foreword, preface, acknowledgments, introduction, prologue, epilogue, extro, afterword, conclusion, appendix, glossary, bibliography, index and sample chapter of exciting upcoming title by author) and thou shalt not repeat books and count them thus.

1. Jodi 31.Dec.12 at 2:20 pm

I dunno. I think the Book Nerd Code of Ethics might not let you count books you abandoned. I’d hate to be brought in front of the committee and sentenced to reading NY Times Bestselling Fiction for all of 2013.