Grieving the Election Day 1: Trying to Find My Hope

I’ve been looking at this empty white box on and off since about 8 o’clock this morning. That’s when I finally made it out of bed though I’d been up since 6. I spent the early parts of the morning weeping in bed not so much about the Trump victory which has devastated me, but about all the people in my self-built echo chamber who were reaching out to the marginalized, the scared, the people who really have to bear the brunt of this horrifying chain of events.

The kindness I saw broke my heart because I thought for sure we’d see such kindness reflected in the outcome of this election.

Yes, I’m one of those shitty white feminists who was positive white women would do the right thing, would stand up for those with less privilege. I was wrong. I saw the election through privilege-tinted/poll-believing/naive glasses and boy howdy is it painful to see how things really are in the harsh light of day.

I did not expect to wake to the racist overthrow of our government, but here it is. I see a lot of my lefty friends offering condolences to the LGBTQIA community, Latinx, Muslims, People of Color, and women. That last one definitely needs a caveat, because white women did this. Fifty-three percent of us voted for Donald Trump according to CNN.

White ladies, what the fuck? I am ashamed. So deeply, deeply ashamed.

I’ve been texting with my niece, Jaycie, who is telling me about how scared she is and also that she’s gobbling down lunch so she can join the other students at the University of Oregon to protest.

Here is what I told her and what I’m going to try to hold onto today and tomorrow and in January:
“It’s okay to be afraid. The unknown is always scary. But soon we will know what we are up against and then we can fight.”

1. Jodi 09.Nov.16 at 5:58 pm

It still says 53% of white women voted Trump. Am I missing something?

2. Matthew Baiocchi 09.Nov.16 at 6:13 pm

my apologies, i was misreading the info on the link i shared, it seems to say nothing about white and female.

1. Matthew Baiocchi 09.Nov.16 at 6:15 pm

rather, i was reading info from the wrong area (all women). you were right and i was wrong. thanks for bearing with me.

1. Jodi 09.Nov.16 at 6:17 pm

Ha! There are no words I love more than “you were right and I was wrong.”

1. matthew baiocchi 09.Nov.16 at 7:01 pm

:). “howdy,” by the way. it has been far too long since i dropped in to leave a note here (i’m just sorry it took a trump election and my inability to read statistical date to finally get in touch).

i’m glad you’ve kept this and twitter going so we can share a small part of your life. i still remember way back when you sent out handmade valentine’s day cards to readers (even sending one to me in deepest darkest minneapolis where i lived at the time).

2. M-----l 09.Nov.16 at 6:37 pm

I stayed in bed until after 9:00. Maybe I got an hour or two of sleep. Mostly I stayed up all night listening to what I swear were fighter jets screaming overhead.

I decided when I finally got out of bed that I’m going to try to be a better person. I’m thinking about framing my “Love Trumps Hate” sign as a reminder.

3. Jasaga 11.Nov.16 at 12:14 pm

Things indeed go better with rock. So, in both tribute to Leonard Cohen and treatment for Trump induced depression, I listened to “Democracy” on repeat for about an hour. I feel better now but more importantly, I feel the need to organize. But not a protest. Protest is not enough. People pretending that they don’t like the election results by resorting to Trump like infantile behavior doesn’t cut it. This is the time to organize an authentic alternative to our failed electoral process. We need to roll away Citizens United by organizing and rocking a grass roots political movement that results in a party with some clout. The Green Party has never taken itself seriously, for example. They believe too much in top down authority (running someone for POTUS without a base? How stupid is that?) We need people elected dogcatcher in Fresno, city council in Madison, state delegate in Ohio, Lt. Gov in Maryland, Comptroller in Olympia, etc. Note I said elected, not just running. We need a new base for representation that has its origin in no private money for public office. Anyway, Jodi, you rock, so keep on keeping on. And don’t be too hard on white women who voted for T-Rump. They are not alone. White men who think a bankrupt billionaire who creates only minimum wage jobs and buys his hotel accessories overseas is their savior are in for a shock: Trump has never, does not now, and never will give a damn about you. The rest of us had better use this as a wake up call. Things go better with Standing Rock. Peace out.