Are you super sad that it’s taken me like seven entire days to finally get around to posting the Top 25 most listened to songs of 2016? I don’t blame you. I kind of am too. There’s been a low-level funk hanging here at Supergenius HQ for most of March. I can’t seem to shake it. It’s probably seasonal. It could be residual grief from my Uncle John’s death. It could be that March is depressing.
I haven’t been writing. I haven’t been making anything good. I haven’t been listening to new music. I haven’t been doing anything at all. I have been existing. So that’s not too shabby.
But you didn’t come here to hear aimless whining about ennui, did you? Hell no. You came here for a list of random songs that I listened to a bunch from March 2015 to March 2016.
What’s with the weird Marchness of this list? Well, it came about because I got my first iPod back in March of aught five. Each year, around the anniversary of that very first iPod (called Roland for you trivia buffs out there) I reset the play counts and then type about all the songs I listened to that year.
I’m not too sure what the story of this year’s playlist is. Aside from the fact that I listened to a bootleg copy of Lydia Loveless’ “Out on Love” fifty-three times in the last 365 days (I wrote about the obsession back in April 2015). You can bet your sweet ass that about 90% of those listens happened right after I got my heart broken. This also explains the inclusion of “Someone to Pull the Trigger” by Matthew Sweet, which is the best break up song of all time, I don’t care what you say. Jason Isbell’s “Alabama Pines” kind of fit that mood too, especially hardly even know my name anymore, when no one calls it out it kind of vanishes away. Gah, that man slays me.
I guess the real news here is that I really, really loved Laura Marling’s “Short Movie” album. I think virtually the entire album shows up on this list. Same goes for Lydia Loveless’ Folkadelphia session from July.
- Out on Love, Lydia Loveless (53)
- Boy Crazy, Lydia Loveless (49)
- To Love Somebody, Lydia Loveless (41)
- Falling Out of Love, Lydia Loveless (37)
- Really Wanna See You, Lydia Loveless (37)
- Alabama Pines, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit (36)
- Warrior, Laura Marling (35)
- Come Over, Lydia Loveless (34)
- False Hope, Laura Marling (33)
- Steve Earle, Lydia Loveless (32)
- I Feel Your Love, Laura Marling (30)
- Strange, Laura Marling (30)
- Walk Alone, Laura Marling (30)
- Don’t Let Me Bring You Down, Laura Marling (28)
- Howling at Nothing, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats (28)
- Easy, Laura Marling (27)
- Short Movie, Laura Marling (27)
- Gurdjieff’s Daughter, Laura Marling (26)
- Someone to Pull the Trigger, Matthew Sweet (26)
- Super America, Bad Bad Hats (26)
- Divine, Laura Marling (25)
- Milkman, Bully (25)
- Trying, Bully (25)
- Worship Me, Laura Marling (25)
- Brain freeze, Bully (24)