Yesterday, as I sat making a mental checklist of all the things I needed to do before a Very St. Martin Christmas, I heard someone pull into the driveway and a flurry of doors open and close.
“Who is that?” I asked Jaycie, my seventeen-year-old niece, who was sitting on the couch by the windows.
“It’s Kari,” she said, and hopped up to get the door.
“What’re they doing here?” I asked.
My front door swung open and I expected to see BFK and her family come in, but in popped a dog. My brain wondered, Why did they bring Lex over?
Then as the dog jumped into my lap, I realized it was Walter! Walter was here from Portland, and he had brought Sister #2 and Ben with him. I promptly burst into tears as my sister stood in the middle of my living room cackling.
“Oh my god, Walter! Oh my god.” I said over and over again. “What are you doing here?”
“Are you surprised?” Sister #2 asked.
“Yes,” I said, still crying. “Happy birthday!”
See, Sister #2 wasn’t supposed to come into town until this afternoon. Ben and Walter weren’t going to make it back for Christmas at all.
So seeing them at my house was a shock.
I snuggled with Walter as Sister #2 and Ben explained their nefarious plan to me and their stunned children.
At one point I looked over at BFK who was standing by the door. “Are you crying?”
“Yes,” she said. “I’m just so happy I could do this for you guys.”
This is a big. BFK rarely cries. She cries so rarely that we often tease her about her dead heart. I’ve known her for fifteen years and I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve seen her cry.
So my wish for you this year, Darling Ones, for you to experience good surprises that bring tears to your eyes. Surprises that bring together your friends and family in ways that make everyone feel like framily. Or some other made up word.
I also still wish all these things for you:
- 2006 Wish: Someone in your life who will change out of their pajama pants for you.
- 2007 Wish: A life full of hilarious serendipity.
- 2008 Wish: Periods of time that are so full of fun and activity you don’t have time to write about it.
- 2009 Wish: People who make you laugh so hard wine comes out your nose.
- 2010 Wish: The inner-strength to make it through the trying times.
- 2011 Wish: Creative endeavors that bring out your passion.
- 2012 Wish: People who will love you anyway.
- 2013 Wish: Someone you can turn to when you’re freaked out who will make you feel better.