Two Things About Today I Feel the Need to Tell the Internet

First: I just submitted my first ever arts grant application. It’s for emerging/beginning artists. I applied in hopes of getting some funds so I can work less, spend that time writing the second draft of the longer fiction piece I’ve been working on, and not have to worry about having to move into Sister #2’s basement.
(I can’t say the words “my novel” without making barf faces and rolling my eyes).

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Second: I got a new bra today and it’s giving me a sort of Joan Harris torpedo boob look. Or rather probably how she looked in like junior high, her breasts are much fuller than mine.

1. Carrie Mesrobian (@CarrieMesrobian) 30.May.13 at 9:44 pm

Oh my god, I have the same thing with the phrase ‘my novel’ too! Before I had a ‘novel’ and now that I have one. It’s just the grossest.

And also? How much do I think you rock for applying for an arts grant? I’ve looked at those applications and they give me the shivers. No small feat, lady.

*waves at yr torpedo boobs*

1. Jodi 30.May.13 at 9:47 pm

Does it get better when there is an actual book behind the novel? Or is saying my book just are barfy-face inducing?

The grant was intimidating as fuck, but I figured I have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Also, breaking up the application process over a few days helped.

1. Carrie Mesrobian (@CarrieMesrobian) 31.May.13 at 2:09 pm

It hasn’t gotten better. I still think I sound like an asshole. I also am very picky about how I talk about writing.

I never call the writing I do, ‘my work.” Like, “In my work, I try to…” Like, something about calling it my ‘work’ is like all hoity-toity, as if you have an oeuvre or whatever the hell, as if you have nuances and recurrent themes and blah blah blah. I feel like that language is for reviewers and critics, not the maker of the stuff.

I also don’t like to call writing ‘a piece’ or ‘a manuscript’ bc it evokes those same OH GOD GET AWAY FROM ME YOU SELF-IMPORTANT IDIOT feelings…

1. Jodi 31.May.13 at 5:34 pm

Usually I call whatever I’m working on “a thing” though I see that piece snuck into this post. I had to use the words “my novel” and/or “my book” all over that grant app. It sucked.

Also, when I think of “my work” I think about the marketing emails I write or website stuff I do because people give me money to do that stuff.

2. Doug 31.May.13 at 2:36 pm

Hey, be careful not to poke someone’s eye out with those themes.

(See what I did there? Well, you don’t have to make that gagging face so fast…)

3. todd 01.Jun.13 at 8:52 am

That photo threatens me.

1. Jodi 01.Jun.13 at 10:48 am

You would be wise to be wary of Joan.